First honing

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by TSimons, Sep 25, 2014.

1. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

Well I didn't have to work tonight which gave me so time to try out my luck with honing. Nothing too intense, just some refreshing on a natural ~12K. As per the recommendation included by @HolyRollah, I started off with a slurry and X strokes. I may or may not have lost count of the number of strokes, but judging from my arm hair I did OK for my first time out.

I've got another two straights that probably a full bevel set and up, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try them on what I had so I repeated the same process with them. I know I improved the one edge, not to sure on the other. Either way I got some practice in!

2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Awesome !!!!

Hone On Brother :D

cubancigar2000 and TSimons like this.
  3. TSimons

I wasn't sure what to expect from my first honing session, but I put it to the test this morning. The shave was smoother then the last time I took the Wostie out for a spin.

There is lots of room for improvement, not sure if that's my skills / technique or the stone. I'm sure with time my skills will improve and my selection of hones will grow.

178-bplatoon and gssixgun like this.
  4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice job. Honing is very rewarding and especially so on your first attempt

TSimons likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A decent finisher will make a shave smoother, but as Glen has stated before, the achieving of the good honing results and a happy shaver :) is dependent mainly upon the initial bevel set. If you're golden with the bevel, all the finisher with the 12k will do is further enhance the comfort.
    If you're cutting hairs comfortably on your first honing, then you're off to a great start! :happy088:

Bristle Me and TSimons like this.
  6. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Good to know...thanks.

7. TSimons

Practice, because what else is there to do on a Saturday morning?

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon and HolyRollah like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Morning therapy…..;)

TSimons likes this.
  9. TSimons

Well at least until I pick up the cracked pipe razor... it is my only full (extra?) hollow straight, and the sound it make is something else. Makes me want to use it, buy not in its current state

10. TSimons

Well I've put all 4 and a half straights to the hone. I only consider my two Wostenholm's to be shave ready, the others could . Regardless I do seem to be putting a better edge on all of them. Really enjoying honing.

gssixgun and HolyRollah like this.
  11. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

:signs107:

If you are getting good results right at the start,
    you are quite fortunate.

Keep up the good work!

12. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

It's slippery slope...beware.

13. TSimons

It might be too late for the warning...

BudWhite likes this.
  14. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

If you've succeeded in learning to set good bevels, it's all gravy now. Some blades are more complicated than others (smilers, real full wedges, and the like) but the fundamentals still apply, and with practice, a kind of "zen-like" effect will occur, where you just kind of know/feel how to move the razor across the hone for the stroke to be effective.

Now...this is hypnotism, and I'm about to do you the biggest favor anyone will ever do for you with regard to honing.

You're feeling sleepy...

sleepy...

sleepy...

You now don't care about Japanese natural stones no matter how fascinating they may be and have no desire to ever buy any. In fact, whenever you see or hear the words "Japanese natural stone" you will immediately associate those words with these : Bladder Infection.

And I snap my fingers <snap!> and your awake!

See? That wasn't so bad! Now I gotta go work with my Bladder Infection.

TSimons likes this.
  15. TSimons

Thankfully I haven't been too interested in jeans just yet... I do have my eye on some Naniwa's and maybe some Welsh or Belgium naturals, but not any time soon.

16. entropy1049

The Naniwa Super Stones are a great bargain. Lottsa bang for the buck.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've enjoyed my solo naniwa (the 1k). I'm looking forward to the arrival of another bevel-setter (the new Chosera 1k) & see how they compare to each other.
    I suppose if I acquire enough 1k hones and still can't get a good edge, I won't be able to blame the stones anymore...:D

JPJ likes this.
  18. entropy1049

I think that Chosera 1K is about the gold standard in bevel setting these days. I purchased my first set of hones without the benefit of the knowledge I've acquired in the time since. Naniwa 360 (for the basket cases) 1K, 5K, 8K, and 12K. Eventually after some research I purchased a nice Nakayama finisher. Had I to do it again, I would purchase:

A Chosera 1K
    A Norton 4K/8K combo
    A Naniwa 12K
    (and the Nakayama :D)

HolyRollah likes this.
  19. TSimons

Shaved with the Wosty Celebrated today after its second time to the hone. I'm pleased to say that the edge once again improved, and I experienced no tugging (for me tugging is the sign of a dulling edge).

entropy1049 likes this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:happy096: One of the more frustrating parts of honing for me is when I go to all the trouble and effort and I am unable to distinguish the differences in the before and after. This docent happen that often, but when it does, I realize it may be ME that was the issue, and not the edge.

That's a nice line-up, Mike. I've never had the opportunity to use a jnat—maybe some day…$$$
    Or maybe I'll luck out and stumble across a 3x8 Belgian coticule for $5 at a garage sale and one-stone hone everything….;)

My current set up and honing procedure:

A Naniwa 1k (or Chosera 1k, when it arrives)
    A Norton 4K/8K combo
    Escher Dark blue finisher
    ChromOx bench strop
    Linen/Leather strop

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014