First Real Shave

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Medicdad417, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Medicdad417

Medicdad417 Well-Known Member

As my 34 birthday approaches, I just finished my first shave with a DE. Now I have been shaving for the past 18 or so years with cartage razors and even a fixed blade knife when in the bush. But none of them gave me the experience I just had. I keep a well groomed full beard and only really shave my neck and on occasion the full on face. ( tonight was just the neck)

I have been thinking about switching to a DE for several weeks, reasons 1) my wife thinks im crazy, 2) something more in the line of tradition, and 3) cost of those expensive blades. After taking advise from several member in the post "rookie" I purchased a VDH set and VDH DE razor, and left it at that.

I soaked my brush in hot water while I showered and while in the shower I used my normal pre-shave routine: face scrub followed by a hot wet wash cloth to the neck. I got out of the shower and noticed about 2 days worth of growth on my neck and told my self, it cant be that hard. I told my wife if i scream and come running out, don't call the ambulance, just get my jump bag and give me my trauma dressings.

Now I've heard the VDH that came with the started set is not all that great, I think it smells good. I knocked off the extra water from my brush and when to town loading the brush. Not to bad a little runny, but its my first time. As I built a nice face later I though how good the brush feels on my neck. I spent the next few minutes working a good lather.

I picked up the DE and thought lets do it. I placed to head perpendicular to my skin and rose the handle to about 30 or so degrees. I held no pressure on the razor, just guided the handle as the razor fell. I could hear the razor singing to me as I felt each hair being surgical sliced off. I new the trick was to slowly remove over several passes, but this was near Baby But Smooth on first pass.

I continued to listen as the razor was singing on that first pass. Now comes the against the grain pass, the one I always dread, even with a Cart. I pick my brush back up and worked up another later and grabbed the DE and when in the opposite direction, and my razor was whistling dixie. Finished up and grabbed some of my gravity AS and getting ready for the sting...wait what sting, I should have had a sting, I always have a sting. No sting. Grabbed my face lotion and rubbed my neck and to my surprise, can you get better that baby butt smooth, if so I think I did.

On the way out of the bathroom I take my fusion pro and chuck it in the trash. IM HOOKED! As for the VDH blades I think they are ok, I have some samples on the way. The VDH blades seem to be a little grabby on some of the stubborn spots, but nothing like the cart blades.

Sara-s, Herm2502, wristwatchb and 8 others like this.
  2. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Welcome!

I'm near 60 yo and just had that same revelation a month ago when I took the same leap you just did. The gauze has been peeled from your eyes. Welcome to a wider world.

Enjoy the journey a step at a time.
    Cheers!
    - RT

Herm2502 likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  4. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

dont know much about VDH blades, but that kit is great....that is a great soap you are using....welcome to the den

Rufus T. likes this.
  5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Congrats on your first shave!

Rufus T. likes this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats on the successful DE shave.

Rufus T. likes this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

he's hooked

Herm2502 likes this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096:
    Welcome to a whole NEW world!
    It only gets better with time and practice! I didn't know the VDH kit came with blades? In any case VDH didn't make them, quite possibly Dorco did. Once you get your sample blade pack and you can compare several blades, you'll find there probably are better blades for you out there. VDH Delux shave soap is actually stellar IMO and fairly inexpensive. I now use Arko for the same reasons, plus the shave sticks are easier to store as they(I have 15 sticks) take up less space in my cabinet than pucks. :happy088:

Rufus T. likes this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Where did you hear that?!?!
    Yup! In my opinion, the best bang for your buck soap out there.
    If wasn't for the skeeter-be-gone smell, I would agree with the Arko.

Rufus T. likes this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Congratulations on your recent enlightenment Grasshopper. ;)

Rufus T. likes this.
  11. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Good One.....:cool:

Rufus T. likes this.
  12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Congrats on your first DE shave. :)

Rufus T. likes this.
  13. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Welcome to the Den! The VDH kit is great. I still use all of it, and you can't beat the price. :eatdrink047:

Rufus T. likes this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah, you're hooked. The VDH soap is a good soap. It is one that I have bought repeatedly. It is cheap and easy to lather. It does a good job. But, now I have 19 other soaps and creams. Just be warned. The VDH blades are ok, but there are better blades that are cheaper. Congratulations on your successful first DE shave.
    zshavingisfun3.jpg

Rufus T. likes this.
  15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congratulations!

photo.jpg

Rufus T. likes this.
  16. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Congratulations and welcome.

Rufus T. likes this.
  17. Herm2502