First SE Shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Ursa, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Picked up a like-new Gem G-Bar at a local antiquities dealer for $8 and thought I'd try it out tonight with some Gem Super Stainless blades. I also picked up some Pal Super blades.

This was my first SE shave, and I've not tried a DE. All my prep work and lather was the same as always, and I've been getting terrific shaves with my cartridge razors. I was able to make WTG, XTG, and ATG passes with no irritation and I didn't even nick myself--though the ATG passes pulled annoyingly.

The shave, unfortunately, just wasn't very close at all.

Your suggestions, please...

2. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Ursa,

Keep at it. Just go slowly and lightly and you will get the hang of it. What you want to do is beard reduction. Take off some hair with each pass. It will take a few weeks for your beard to get used to the SE shave. So be patient and things will come around.

Also, it might help if you got your hands on some GEM blades by Personna. Some guys get them at their local pharmacy. I got mine from Razor and Brush.com. Also GEM Blue Star blades are not bad.

Finally, I would ask what type of soap/cream you are using. Is it a canned cream or gel? Or is it something you mix yourself with a brush and mug. I find that while canned goo does work, making your own lather for each shave seems to work much better for me and most other guys on this board.

Good luck with the SE shaving. It is unusual for a guy to get into traditional wetshaving with the SE first. You will make D.Irving79 a very happy camper as he is the resident SE razor guru.

3. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

The trick with SEs is to let the weight of the head and the sharpness of the razor do the work.

I shave in short strokes starting at the sideburn I go south about 1/2 to 1/4 of the face, working toward the nose I repeat.

The neck is tricky. You have to feel the blade around the curve from the jawline to the neck.

As for the ear to nose pass. I would suggest again short strokes and if a straight ear to nose is not working add a slight angle 5 degrees or so. This may help. YMMV.

4. reverendyo

reverendyo New Member

I have found the GEM requires keeping the head at a fixed angle, the entire razor almost touching the face to get the blade at the right angle. This isn't always easy, especially on the neck where I have my biggest problems getting BBS. What I do find with the SE is, that when used properly, I have less razor burn than with a DE. (Unless I keep forgetting and try to tame the micromatic, which I can't).

Keep at it, it will come around for you.

5. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Welcome reverendyo

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, reverendyo! :signs046

Wow, long time lurker, huh? :eek:

7. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Well, I face-lathered some Proraso cream (always a good idea) and gave the Gem G-bar another go today. I refined my technique a bit and the shave today was much improved. I really liked how cleanly my neck was shaved. Also, I'm really surprised at how forgiving a shaver it is; I was able to make as many passes as I wanted to without any trouble, and made some maneuvers with it that would've surely nicked me if I were using, say, a BiC Metal. Perhaps the blade cover/guard covering up the corners of the blade gets the credit for this.

I think I might get to really like this thing. There was also a Micromatic at the shop today, but the price tag was missing so I couldn't buy it. I'll bring it home soon if the price is right. In the meantime, I'll see how the G-bar works with the Pal Super carbon steel blades.

8. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Loaded the G-bar up with a Pal Super blade today, gave it a go, and...man, what a great shave! I got BBS in less time than using a cartridge razor, and it was much more comfortable to boot. I could hardly feel the blade as it deftly mowed down my beard. This razor/blade combo feels as though it were custom made just for me.

Thanks, gents, for the guidance on this.

9. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

Welcome aboard.;) Good to see you getting good results with your Gem.;) I find them superior to d/e razors in all respects except for blade choices.:rolleyes:

10. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Theres a razor and blade combo out there for everybody! Its just a matter of time before you find her. Is it fate? Love? Destiny? Dunnn dunn dunnnnnnnnn

11. apswartz

apswartz New Member

That's right. And it may not be the one you want. I really wanted my 1956 SS to work for me. Alas! Just couldn't find the right blades to go with it. (at least not yet).

12. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Try Lord Supers. TSD has them. They solved my old type problem.

13. reverendyo

reverendyo New Member

Thanks for the welcome and in my opinion stay away from the micromatic! I have an open comb and a bar type and both have given me razor rash. Once it was so bad, my wife wanted to know if she left a 'mark' on my neck....

14. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Thanks, I will.