First Shave Experience

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by FancyRamen, Aug 18, 2015.

1. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

So I completed my first DE shave last night with my limited materials (vintage travel tech, Wilkinson blade, C. O. Bigelow shave cream). I don't have my brush yet, so I'm not considering this a "real" first experience, but I did get to try out my first attempt at DE shaving.

First, I got my face nice and moist with hot water, put a new blade in my Travel Tech and started with a small dollop (nickel size) of shave cream.

I tried to get what I would call a good layer or cream on my face without it becoming too thick. I wasn't able to work up what I have seen in videos of a good lather, so I know this will have a big bearing on the smoothness of the shave.

I started off on the cheeks and it was great for about 2 seconds. I realized that this cream gets very pasty very easily and requires a good amount of water to keep it from literally becoming paint. (First lesson learned)

I tried to thin it out a bit and it worked for a bit, but it kept getting pasty and I could start to feel some resistance.

I worked through it going WTG and in my first pass, I was relatively happy with everything except my neck. I had started about 4 weepers on my neck, but decided to push on for a 2nd pass. I realized afterwards that my neck hair actually grows a different way than I thought before. I will be cutting from the middle toward my ears from now on. (Second lesson learned!)

After washing off the first bit of leftover cream, it actually had a nice slickness to it, so that was a factor in me pushing forward with a 2nd pass. The 2nd pass went better than expected and I ended up with a very smooth cheek, mustache and chin area. My neck looked pretty bad though.

Any advice on what to do my 2nd time around, other than get a decent soap/cream and brush (both of which are on their way)?

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Just so you know you're not alone, the neck/throat is often the most challenging areas for new wet-shavers.
    Stay with the grain (WTG) for a while until you feel comfortable with your 'touch.' Let those irritated areas heal. Sure, you many not get that über-smooth shave you're hoping for initially, but that will come in time with practice.
    Light touch and fewer passes over the same area = less irritation and less nicks.

Jasio78 and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

It can take a few shaves to get the technique down so my advice would be to get a brush (of course) and practice. remember not to use very much pressure on the razor

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

'Bout sums it up, for now.

Herm2502 likes this.
  5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

FancyRamen said:

Any advice on what to do my 2nd time around, other than get a decent soap/cream and brush (both of which are on their way)?

It sounds to me like you just put the cream on your face and started shaving. You definitely need a brush to properly generate the correct consistency of lather. You can either put the cream on your face and stir it around with the brush (called 'face lathering') until you get the thick lather you need or you put the dollop into a bowl and create your lather there ('bowl lathering'). I think the pasty feeling was because there wasn't enough water involved. You may want to work on just making up the proper lather without shaving. You can probably pick up an adequate brush at a local drug store. The Van Der Hagen set is OK.

6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

As has been said, consider sticking with WTG only for now. Pay attention to keeping no pressure on the razor and watch the angles. It sounds like you are seeing that beard growth direction can be different than you thought, so try to note this as much as possible. The growth on my neck is in about 10 different directions it seems.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Try it. It is a way of life.
    ZCOLDWATER2.jpg

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

10. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

little to no pressure and proper blade angle !!!

and as was mentioned, practice lathering (once you get your brush). when it comes down to it, a bowl or face of lather costs pennies ... but can be the difference between a great shave and a poor shave.

just think ... your shaves will only get better !!!

11. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

As others have said, the brush and a good lather will make a huge difference. I have found the prep before the shave can have a very large impact on the quality of the shave. Also, do not push too hard (literally and figuratively) on the neck. The technique will come, it just takes patience and practice.

12. Serenityoli

Serenityoli New Member

Make sure you have the time to take your time!! I'm still a newbie, being at it for only a year now but my shaves are no good when i'm in a rush... Take your time and enjoy the ride!

13. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

So my second shave experience went slightly better. I learned the unique growth pattern on my neck and it was much less bloody this go around. All was ok despite my bargain deal of a brush turning into a nasty email to the seller. See pictures below.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Bama Samurai and gmaugie007 like this.
  15. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

I actually got one of those right after this brush failed miserably. Should be here by Friday.

cmorris357 likes this.