First shave with menth, BEST EVER!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Brian, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Active Member

:anifrozenThis is an open letter I sent to battle.munky who was kind enough to send me a little baggie of menthol crystals to try out.

Well, I've been tossing and turning all night in between watching old reruns of Barney Miller, until I just couldn't take it any more... About 2:30 I got up and grabbed my mug of VanderWilliams along with the bag of menth you sent. Out to the kitchen I went, I nuked the soap in 10 second bursts until it got soft and started to bubble up. (no worries, this time I watched and was able to stop it before the mix went all over!). I then dropped about a half of a teaspoon in, stired it up and nuked for another 10 seconds. Stirred again and took a big wiff.

POWERFUL STUFF! You were not kidding that a little goes a long ways. Off to the restroom I headed. Like a kid in the candy store I didn't even wait for it to cool all the way, but soaked my bristle brush, loaded it for bear, and commenced to face lather.

I started to notice the nice freeze as the brush swirled around and around over my cheeks and neck. I picked up my Tech which was loaded with a Derby and started the BEST SHAVE EVER! The razor glided over my skin with me not feeling it, but just hearing the rake of the wiskers. WOW!!! I rinsed soaked with more hot water, went across the grain, rinsed, soaked, went the other way, rinsed, soaked again with hot water and finished with against the grain. Man oh man was I feeling smooth!

I finished up with a cold rag, a dime sized dollop of Nivea Post Shave Balm , sprayed my face with witch hazel, and finished with a liberal dose of Ice Blue Aqua Velva.

It is now 4:15 and my face still has a chill! Awsome stuff is all I can say. I am thinking tomorrow oh heck who am I kidding, tonight I think I'm going to try the VanderWilliams menth with a touch of C.O. Bigelow to really get that uberlather going.

Thanks for introducing me to this stuff. It is great. I see a order going out to get a big bag of this stuff very soon. I am thinking about getting one of the small plastic AV's and loading it up with a bigger dose of menth. I see so many possible aps for this stuff.

Thanks again.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Niiiiiiiice! :happy088:happy088

3. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to get some PIFed to me as well. I do have to say if your going to buy it. Do not buy lots. It is very powerful and light stuff. A couple oz will last for years.

I have my menthol crystals so far in my

TBS cream
    Nivea Cool Kick Splash (needed more of course)
    Nivea Aftershave Balm (I added menthol and water to make it more of a milk)
    Shampoo (tingly scalp is amazing)

You could do even more. It is wonderful stuff.

4. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

hmmmmmmmm, you have me thinking now. Oh, the possibilities......

5. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Sooo many

I really enjoy when the face is numb and tingly. The razor seems to glide smoother. I know that has nothing to do with having menthol. But the numb freeze makes it feel better.

This morning I just had menthol witch hazel and then my menthol splash as well... It was nice but the bicycle ride to work... BOY was my face chilly.

6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I need me some crystals in a bad way!

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

LOL... a little menth does go a long way. At making another menth head.

Welcome to the club!

8. Brian

Brian Active Member

Thank you!

9. Brian

Brian Active Member

Menthol in the witch hazel? Hmmmm now there is something I hadn't thought of... but now that the idea is there....

10. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

It really is a club. MUA (Menthol Users Anonymous) We meet every second Wednesday in the chat starting at about 7 pm. :happy102

MMM menthol. I even had a mint tea his afternoon. So good.

11. Brian

Brian Active Member

I was planning on asking the forum just what the after shave milk was and how it differed from a balm.

12. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Here is a little link.

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6401

All the milks i have used which is just TSD milk have been very moisturizing while not being thick. It is a Hydrosol based liquid aftershave. I have to say they are wonderful. The only others that i know of are TSD and DR. Harris which is states in that link. DR. Harris is a bit more expensive than TSD so next order i strongly encourage you to add a sample at least.

TSD milks are absolutely wonderful. Tonight I am going to take what i have left from a sample and add some nivea cool kick splash and see if it mixes and how that performs after a shave.

I added water basically because the balm was too thick and too oily for me. Didn't make my face feel great after a shave. Now with menthol and water added it is more liquid and make my eyes almost water it is that cooling.

13. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Brian what I'd like to know is how are you microwaving a tallow based soap without ruining it? I've always heard that destroys the soap.

14. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

He has vanderwilliams? So I think that the VDH melts and then he takes it out and stirs it and the williams melts because it isnt direct heat... I am planning on doing something simular. But my plan is to grade the williams. Then melt the vdh and add menthol to the vdh. Then pour over williams and stir a bit until it thickens up then leave it to harden.

If all else fails can get Mbomb and add it williams. There are so many tools to get your M fix for the day.

15. Brian

Brian Active Member

Thanks for the link, there was alot more questions answered there then I knew I had. Still so much to learn, but it's fun learning it.:D

16. Brian

Brian Active Member

This is a VanderWilliams that I had already made and talked about on another post, so both soaps were in the mug being nuked at the same time last night. When I first made it I had grated both, melted the vdh and then dropped in the grated williams, and mixed with a chop stick.

Last night I kept the time to 8-10 seconds bursts and with about as much time out of the microwave inbetween. After several repeats (about 3) of this the Vander was getting melted, and the Williams softer, it didn't separate, but it did get very clumpy as I stirred it. So I put in for another 2 go aroundsto get a more liquid base to melt the menth in (I believe I had it in there a total of 50 seconds give or take). After the 3rd burst, I started stirring it to help distribute the heat of the melted Vander. I then dropped in the crystals and stirred again for 15-20 seconds.

I gave it a wiff and it was strong enough I didn't get a full breath. (I figure what was left of the VanderWilliams would be about the size of a single puck). I did need a little more water then normal to get it to pop with the lather. But I'm thinking perhaps if the menth would have been added in when I first made it, things would have been fine. But being heated again dried it out like warming a uncovered chicken.

With the added dip of my brush from the pooled hot water in the sink I got it to pop like it had before. I think the key is to not allow the tallow to get too hot and have the "resting" periods, allowing the heat from the vdh to do its work. At least thats my take on it. Give it a try and let me know how it worked for you.

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 Great ain't it?! :D

18. Brian

Brian Active Member

Like nothing else I've tried but it sure is dang good stuff! Oh man, does this mean I'm now gonna be a menth head? And since battle.munky gave it to me does that make him my supplier? :happy102

19. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Hmm Maybe not supplier... just the gateway to the underground wet shaving black menthol market.

20. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Sounds like you already are! :D

:think002 Yep, sounds like Bob!