First Shave With My Edwin Jagger DE89

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Christopher Powell, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Razor - EJ DE89
    Blade - Astra Superior Stainless
    Soap - VDH Luxury
    Brush - Escali Badger
    Post Shave - Cold Water

Wow. The best first shave I've ever had. As most of you know, this razor is beautiful. I bought the chrome model, not the lined model. For my first shave I decided to load my favorite blade, like I do for all first shaves. The combination of the EJ razor and the Astra SS gave me a damn near perfect shave. I received DFS after 2 passes and a few touch ups right where the nostril meets the upper lip (too much info?). Overall I cannot be more impressed with this razor. It looks beautiful, feels wonderful, and shaves amazing. We now have a serious contender for favorite razor, along with my Murker 33C and Razorock Mission !!!

2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

The DE89 was my first DE razor. It always give a nice shave. Glad you're enjoying yours!

Herm

3. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you like DE89. I have Barley model. I bought many DE's. I sold some, gave some as a gift. But I want to keep EJ DE89 because it is one of the best in the market.
    I combine sharp blades with DE89 , gives me best results.
    Enjoy your new razor. [​IMG]

4. brit

brit in a box

my first new razor .nice shave.but the gillettes started showing up in the mail and i only used it a couple of times.loved the finish on it.mine had the lined handle..

Herm2502, Hembree and Rob206 like this.
  5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Great tool the DE89 is for sure.

6. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Ej de 89 is the first and only razor I've bought so far. I love it, even though I have nothing to compare it to, I have no complaints

dmshaver and Hembree like this.
  7. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

The DE89 was my second and first great razor. First was a cheap Utopia razor that I bought just to see if I would like wet shaving. It is hard to beat the DE89 and the Astra SPs are my favorite blades. The DE89 will always be a part of my den and I pull it out from time to time and give it a drive.

Edison Carter and Rob206 like this.
  8. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

The EJ DE89lbl was my first razor and still in the collection and rotation. I load mine up with Kai SS exclusively because I find that, that blade in particular does quite well in mild razors. Enjoy it Sir, it is a gem!

Edison Carter, Hembree and Rob206 like this.
  9. Christopher Powell

I did the same thing. Utopia Care was my first razor. I actually still use the handle with a Murker 33C head attached to it.

Hembree likes this.
  10. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Congratulations, glad to hear of your overwhelmingly successful first shave! The EJ de89 is certainly a well known, well-respected razor. It was my second razor purchased & I used it exclusively for quite a while. Enjoy!

Edison Carter and Hembree like this.
  11. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

A DE89 was the razor - bought for me by my wife as a Christmas gift with a matching stand and best badger brush - that got me back into DE shaving after many years in the "wilderness".

I have since been bitten by the Vintage Gillette bug but I get the EJ out once in a while and it still gives me a great shave, usually with a Feather or a GSB.

[​IMG]

brit, dmshaver and Edison Carter like this.
  12. Hembree

Nice gift. You better keep her!;)

kfbrady and Edison Carter like this.
  13. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

My middle brother has a DE89. It's the only safety razor he owns. His brother and sister in law got him the VDH kit, so I bought him the EJ for Christmas to finish the set, and gave him some blades.

brit, Edison Carter, GatorJoe and 2 others like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Good, solid razor. Enjoy.

brit, Edison Carter and Hembree like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Great razor!

BTW just grow a mustache and you won't have any trouble under your nose. :D

:eatdrink013:

brit and Hembree like this.
  16. Hembree

[​IMG]

brit and Enrico like this.
  17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear! I’ve been thinking about an EJ.

I have to ask- is your avatar you? It is great!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Hembree likes this.
  18. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

That is a wonderful razor and I used it exclusively for several years.. I only stopped because I started getting into adjustables and fixated on the Futur exclusively for six more years.

I still have mine. It made me a believer in Muhle products.

Edison Carter and Hembree like this.
  19. Christopher Powell

Yes, it's me and my sister. I'm not that lean anymore, but I'm carrying a lot more muscle now.

brit, MR41, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  20. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

That’s an awesome Pic man!

brit likes this.