First Shave with the Edwin Jagger...got torn up

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by bbaker, Jan 12, 2015.

1. bbaker

bbaker Active Member

Idk if it was the Astra SP blades or I didnt get a big enough lather but I got pretty tore up. 3 or 4 weepers and lots of redness...on the bright side I got pretty close to BBS. Any suggestions or tough it out?

Tattoobob and wristwatchb like this.
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Concentration on the amount of pressure you should not be applying, and a consistent angle is where I'd start.

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I see you have shaved with a Merkur 34C so the EJ is not much more aggressive than the Merkur.

Are you applying pressure to the razor? If so let up on the razor and let the head do the work. Lots of redness tends to lean toward pressure, but not always.

When did you shave? Was it after a shower, or was it simply a splash of water to start? Hydration is critical to the shave.

Do you have a blade sampler? If so, you might want to select another blade but make sure your are working the other issues as well.

4. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

It can be a number of factors. Is this your first DE? If so then it could be the blade or just your technique. Having a good soap can make a difference too.

wristwatchb likes this.
  5. bbaker

bbaker Active Member

I used sterling soap. I do think it may have been my technique...which I have none of :p My angles were all over the place. I think I need to go slower and really concentrate on it. How much pressure should I be using? If any?

jakie55, wristwatchb and GDCarrington like this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Almost no pressure at all. Think of the head of the razor as gliding on the soap and not mashing into it..

Bama Samurai, wristwatchb and bbaker like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No pressure = trying to take all the lather off during the stroke without touching the skin and not leaving any lather in that path on your face.

8. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Stirling is a favorite soap but it can be difficult for a newbie to get a good lather. It foams, then the foam turns to tiny bubbles (stop singing!) then it builds up a thick lather. Whip it for 60 seconds then it should not wipe off easily. You might also have a bad blade. Most Astra are awesome but I have gotten a bad one in a pack on occasion. Just pitch it and try again.

wristwatchb and bbaker like this.
  9. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I like how you still found the positive side to a rough experience. Stick with it, and you will improve as you go. Don't try to change too many things at once, but the pressure is a huge factor to having smoother shaves in the future. Thanks for sharing...

10. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Everyday is a learning day - keep at it, it will get better

11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

My money is on too much pressure.

I think Steve (swarden) nailed it. It's impossible to separate the lather from your face without touching your skin but what he said is the idea that you need to use to get the right amount of pressure. Normally weepers and redness are pressure related.

Best of luck on your next shave with your new razor!

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My very first reaction was too much pressure. Later you also said your angles were all over the place. That was my second thought. I think you know what to do. You should be getting excellent shaves very soon.
    You might also want to try a zcws.png .

wristwatchb likes this.
  13. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I stopped focusing so much on the angle I was holding it at and just went for no pressure. It seems like the only time I have problems is when I rush and sort of drop the razor against the skin if that makes sense. Also I can tell a big difference when my lather is better although the no pressure thing still makes the shave decent with a bad lather.

jakie55 and wristwatchb like this.
  14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Dang! I knew there was a reason I was having a problem getting decent lather with Stirling soaps… ;)

mikewood likes this.
  16. wristwatchb

17. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Ya i had some blood when started DE shaving, noooo pressure and find your angle and lock your wrist out. It will get better. Even when I have a little rough shave I am able to enjoy. And smell good also.

18. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

My guess is too much pressure and blade angle. Good technique takes time to master...........

19. bbaker

bbaker Active Member

I think Im going to go with the maca root cream or the TOBS lavender cream until I get better at making lathers...will those do better for me?

spacehobo likes this.
  20. wristwatchb

Ben, I think it is easier to start out making good lather using a shaving cream. Just my opinion. TOBS creams are some of my favorites.

spacehobo, Shaver X and bbaker like this.