First Simpson Experience

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by owen, Oct 18, 2007.

1. owen

owen Member

For many years all I knew was boar brushes, and then this year I started buying badger brushes. I started with vulfix in super which I thought was soft, but had no backbone compared to the old boar brushes I was used to. I then bought a C&E travel in pure, it has backbone but scratchy feel. So I have poundered over the forum revisited the vendors web sites and requested catalog from the manufactures. Even with the concern with quality at issue. I decided on Simpson. I bought a Duke 1 in best from Lee's and yesterday was the first use. What a difference, In one word wow now I understand why people on this forum collect so many. The tips are so soft and plenty of backbone the knot is so dense and best of all no hair loss with the first shave outstanding!

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Sounds like you have certainly done your homework!
    The first 6-8 brushes I bought were blind, impulse buys ::

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new brush!

3. Padron

Padron Active Member

Great news Owen,

I recently bought my 2nd Simpson brush a Chubby 1 in Super...My first was a Simpson Case, a nice brush but a little small / floppy for my taste as a result it was sold. The Chubby has been great so far, with about 15 or so uses so far has only lost 1 hair that came out on the first lathering that I suspect was just a loose hair that wasn't bonded in the knot.

So far it's looking like Simpson has corrected the epoxy problem that some people were reporting trouble with, which is great news for us.

Post up some pictures of your brushes if you have a chance.

Congrats!! :D

4. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Good choice! Duke 1 is a fantastic little brush.

I really like that it fits inside the travel tube that comes with the Case brush.

:happy088

5. owen

owen Member

Key word " little " I was hoping it had a more meatier handle to hold on to, for its only a hair taller tha my C&E Travel, but it really excels with soaps. virgin run with English Fern soap, great lather.

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Is it as small or smaller than a Simpson Case? Just trying to get an idea of the size...

Any pictures?

7. msandoval858

It's a little bigger than the case, but much denser and better hair quality. I don't have my Case anymore, sold it off, but both are in my brush line up pic in that other thread.

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Mike...sold my Case too. Have had my eyes on the Dukes though :)

9. msandoval858

Call Lee

Buy all three!

You know you want to
    :happy036

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

You are an Enabler :D, I do want to though....hear to many good things about the Dukes ;)

11. William

William New Member

I have the Duke 2 which was actually my second choice. For weeks I was going to go for the Chubby 1 and was on the point of ordering it when I changed my mind. The Chubby 1 is without doubt still on my list of must haves and I will have to wait and see what Santa brings me this Christmas. I chose the Duke 2 on recommendation as it is the perfect soap brush. Well I think it is. I have not used any of my other brushes since the day I got it. It fits nice in the hand and has a super scrubby feel to the face. I was and still am amazed as to how much water this little gem holds and just a little shake is not enough! If you are looking for a first good brush and like to use soap, get the Duke 2. Just in closing, I would add that I have not lost a single hair out of the brush.

Cheers

12. Amyn

Amyn Guest

Congrats on the experience. I had my first Simpson experience today too except with a Chubby 3 Best :D. Awesome scrubby brush. Never experienced anything like it before. Did loose 2 hair :(

13. owen

owen Member

Update after one week of experience with the Duke 1. I have used this brush only for the past seven days using T&H and Penhalgons soaps, and I am still quite impressed with its performance. The knot is what I was looking for dense and soft tips great for face lathering. Still the handle seems a little small, but I'll give it awhile before I decide to go up in size, and if I do it will be a Simpson.

14. owen

owen Member

Only one hair loss this 1st week.

15. jramire2

jramire2 Member

My experience w/Simpson is mixed. My first Simpson was a Simpson Major, which performed really well, but began to shed like mad (we're talking 15-20 hairs PER shave). Got a replacement Major, it took a couple months but their CS is top notch, and it sheds the occasional hair, depends on how much I use it. I love how Simpsons perform, but I have to admit I'm concerned about the quality of mfr to the point that I won't buy any more.

I think I'll stick w/Rooney. I only have one, a secondhand Rooney style 3, size small in super. I don't know if it shed for the previous owner, but I've had it over 6 months and it's shed two hairs since I got it.

16. msandoval858

I'll admit I beat my Simpsons up pretty good. I don't use mine the way the recommend with the "painting" motion of applying lather. 95% of the time I face lather and other times lather in my hand, depending on the soap I'm using.

It's not at all uncommon for mine to loose a hair or two here and there. I don't worry to much about it. If I was losing 15-20 per shave, then yeah, obviously there's a problem. A few hairs here and there, as long as they are not coming out in clumps, don't really concern me. Those brushes are so densely packed that you'd have to loose a whole lot of hair for it to even begin to effect their performance.

The only brush I've ever had to return was an C&E (Edwin Jagger) Super. My first one threw quite a bit of hair over the first month I had it. The replacement was perfect although I no longer own that brush.

17. owen

owen Member

I have been using the Duke 1 now exclusively for two weeks, and until yesterday only with soaps when I tried some of a sample of Elite cream Floris sent me. Well this little brush is great with creams as well. The knot in size,loft and softness is perfect well controlled to put lather where you want it. Still my only complaint is handle size, not so much longer but meatier any suggestions? Simpson only.

18. barbarosa

barbarosa New Member

Tulip 2
    I really like the handle of the Tulip, not too long or too short and it does a good job at keeping the lather off your hands.

Regards,
    Alfred

19. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

I shaved with a Simpson for the first time yesterday. Despite some criticism of Simpson in these forums, I bought a D2 Duke in best. It lathers faster than any of the other brushes I own. It's not as soft or floppy as my former favorite brush, a little vintage Ever-Ready badger but I intend to use it only with soaps so that's fine. It's infinitely superior to the Tweezerman.

Shipment was fast. I ordered it late last Saturday night (the 3rd) and it got here from Bath, England by Royal Air Mail (part of the way) on Friday early enough for my daily shave. (Being retired often I don't shave until after breakfast, maybe 10 AM or so and I usually shower at night before bed.)

This will be my last brush... I hope. My immediate goal is to get down to three razors, three brushes, three soaps, and three after shaves. I've narrowed razors down from 21 to 8 and brushes from 15 to 4. My ultimate goal is to have only one razor, one brush and one soap and sell or give away the rest.

Richard

20. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Richard, glad to hear your Simpson experience went well. I have one on BO and am drooling reading posts like this. Minimizing can be a good thing, know what you like and use it. Sometimes if you have too much it get's overwhelming. :D Some day maybe I'll be able to do that.
    I already welcomed you in another thread but welcome again!

Best!