First straight...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by nikonNUT, Oct 23, 2016.

1. nikonNUT

nikonNUT Well-Known Member

Been straight curious for a while. Started hunting for a cheap vintage and came across this on the bay for $17.00...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know it will need work but I hope its not a paper weight.

2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

It looks nice, but show off some pics to @HolyRollah or @gssixgun , they will know what it will take.

I'm guessing it will be fine, but at 17 bucks...even if it isn't... It is still a great shadow box candidate.

3. nikonNUT

Thank you! I'll get in touch with them. I'll definitely be needing a honemeister!

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Looks like a really old Wade and Butcher. Nice find.

5. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

It has some wear, but not where it would be unable to be honed. As long as it doesn't have any cracks, I think you got a steal!

Karl G and nikonNUT like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Congrats.

Billyfergie, Karl G and nikonNUT like this.
  7. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Congrats @nikonNUT on your first straight razor. The surface gunk should clean up very nicely. From what I see, there appears to be some hone wear on the spine, nothing major, on the heel end of the blade, more there then at the toe end. The blade appears to be a nice "smiling" blade. The only thing I see that could be a concern is it looks like a slight chip in the blade almost directly below the "T" in "The Hollow Ground Razor". Is there a way you could get a close up on that?

It is definitely a Wade and Butcher. I found another image of a similar blade online.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  8. nikonNUT

You are correct sir! There is a very small nick just ahead of the "T" in "The" Not to greatest pic but here is a grainy close up of the damage...
    [​IMG]
    It has actually cleaned up really well and I think that little spot will come out with out too much fuss...

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  9. TheFiveO

Depending on how severe the chip is, you might be able to "bread knife " it out on the side of a low grit stone. Better yet, send to a knowledgeable honer like @gssixgun and I am certain, if it's capable of being resurrected, he can do it

Billyfergie, Jorvaljr and Karl G like this.
  10. nikonNUT

Well, it took a moment but I think it turned out great!
    [​IMG]

Now to see how it shaves!

11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You definitely made it look nice.
    Congrats.

Billyfergie, twhite and Karl G like this.
  12. TheFiveO

GREAT JOB @nikonNUT . It looks gorgeous. Did that chip come out or have you worked on that yet? If you need honing, let me know. I would recommend sending it to someone like @gssixgun first though.

Once again, great job sir

13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy096:

14. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Tha's BEEOOTEEFUL!

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.