First things first...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by DesertTime, Jan 29, 2010.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

My son is returning from Haiti after spending two weeks there covering the aftermath of the earthquake.

He hasn't slept, eaten or bathed regularly the entire time. When he did sleep, it was often on the ground, outdoors.

I don't want to make light of the horrors he's described to me in texts and tweets over the past two weeks. Knowing my son, I'm sure he's changed from the experience.

But I thought his last text was amusing. He sent a text containing only these words, "...looking forward to a shave."

Of all the things to miss...

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

While I've never experienced anything like what you son has likely experienced in Haiti, I have spend some time working hard in places I couldn't bath or sleep much. I think a good shave makes complete sense. Many WWI veterans who were involved in the trench warfare stated how much they enjoyed getting back of the line for long enough to shave. Before I discovered wet shaving I didn't understand how that could be so.

3. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

WOW..... Lots of respect for your son, Dennis!! I'm sure the experience will have an impact on him....

+1 on that, Erik :happy088

During my time in the army, I did several tours to conflict areas, we had to patrol a lot.

The only thing I looked forward after a patrol was a shower, but mainly a shave....... In my opinion there are little things more rewarding than a shave, followed by a cold beer with the buddies :D

4. KiltedShaver

KiltedShaver Member

Kudos to your son for being down there and helping! I can understand the sentiment. We love camping here in my house and after several days out in the woods all I want is a shower and a shave. Makes one feel civilized again!

KS

5. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Sorry if I misrepresented what he was doing there. He's a news producer for a Japanese news agency.

6. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

No need to sorry there, Dennis ;)

That for sure is helping out as well!!

The public needs to know what is going on there and News Crews help us out with that :happy088