first time razor buyer need some help identifying razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tazzbaby, Sep 28, 2010.

1. tazzbaby

tazzbaby New Member

hi all was looking for some help with this razor i just bought. its a trade mark gillette made in england the British pat number is 363892 it is 8cm in length very light. it is silver in colour but is changing to a copper/brass colour am looking for any info on this and how would i go abought cleaning it up/or should i get it replated.thanks for any info

Attached Files:

2. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

What you have there is Gillette NEW Short Comb Razor, circa 1930's

Although I have not seen a handle like that... might thus be a Frankenrazor...

But the head is most certainly a NEW SC!

Tis my favourite Razor!

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That handle looks a lot like a fat handle tech. To me anyway,.

4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 Me too!

5. sffone

sffone Member

I wouldn't bother replating it if I were you. I would just clean it real well with a little soap and water and start using it. Replating the razor would improve its looks, but it won't improve the quality of the shave.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yeah, fer shere ya'll.

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I think that is a English Gillette #77, which mentioned is a NEW, and the handle may actually be original. I have seen others identical to that, and Gillette tended to mix and match with left over parts.

I soak mine in hot water or "Scrubbing Bubbles" for a bit, then scrub them with a tooth brush. Should clean up nice.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I was trying to think of a nice way to put it. and that is the best.. look better not shave better .

9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

There were 2 versions of the British No. 77 set that I am aware of:

1] 1933 silver British No. 77 NEW set; the rare two-piece; open comb; double-edge; brown bakelite case and two brown bakelite blade boxes (seen in the first advert below)

2] 1940s silver British No. 77 Tech set (seen in a December 1948 advertisement); three-piece; solid bar guard; double-edge; brown bakelite case and two brown bakelite blade boxes (seen in the second advert below)

So it would appear you have a No. 77 set I've not seen or a miss-match with the wrong open comb guard head piece but the right handle and head cap.

1933 No. 77 advert:
    [​IMG]

1940s No. 77:
    [​IMG]

10. IAmTheJody

Here's both in my collection. Sorry for the bad picture as I don't have a good camera.

[​IMG]

11. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

who needs a good camera when you have good quality posts and awesome razors to back it up :):happy096

12. beautiful razor!

13. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I still feel strongly that it is likely original.

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11597

note that the handle looks slimmer than the normal fat handled tech, and I would be willing to bet that weighed side by side with a fat tech handle, it will actually weigh more.

14. IAmTheJody

Thanks for that link. It would appear I stand corrected. Great, another No. 77 set I need to get. [​IMG]

15. Cubits

Cubits New Member

The OP's pics have the tech thin handle, not the fat. I have a thin, it's a great, grippy handle, but it is a little lighter than the ball end.

They were produced at the right time to be included in this set, so it might be another case of war-effected mix/match.

At any rate, it should shave even better than a thin handle tech with that head! :p

16. alex2363

alex2363 Member

fat handle tech handle..

17. Cubits

Cubits New Member

Thin handle time a million! :D

77's and 44's were available with thin handles (i have a 44 set), and the 27 was a fatty. If you can't see that the OP's example is a thin handle, hold up one of your fat handles to the screen and compare. :p

The gradient of the end-to-neck of the handle is too shallow to be a fat, there aren't enough visible vertical bars for it to be a fat, and the gap to the horizontal band would be too long.

[​IMG]