First time trying pie as well as pumpkin

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Demidog, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

It's amazing that I made it to my age without having ever tried any sort of pie or anything with pumpkin in it. I decided to tackle these together and I recently had pumpkin pie. It was surprisingly good although it hasn't usurped chocolate as my go-to dessert. If I didn't have any chocolate around, I'd definitely be digging more into the pie.

It kind of makes me wish that pumpkin was available year-round. I can only imagine how good pumpkin must taste in other dishes. If anyone has suggestions for other pumpkin recipes to try, let me know. I often see it mixed in with "spice" and cinnamon but I really can't stand cinnamon, which is probably why I have avoided pumpkin for so long. I also have to try squash one of these days.

Frijolero, wristwatchb, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I think nutmeg is another spice used in pumpkin pie. As an alternative sweet potato make a good pie with similar consistency and flavor.

Tapatalk via LG

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

May i recommend a good pecan pie?

Herm2502, Frijolero, Demidog and 4 others like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

All pecan pie is good. Some is near-manna.

Terry, Frijolero, RyX and 3 others like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Pumpkin pie is good, especially with whip cream on top.

SHAVEWIZARD420, Terry, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  6. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Couldn't disagree more. Some pecan is delicious, some has the consistency of phlegm and makes me want vomit. :sick007:

BamaT likes this.
  7. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

So how old are you exactly?
    And you've never had pie.

I would be lost.

So many good pies.
    -Chocolate pie is a great one when made right.
    -Blackberry, tart cherry, tart grape, key lime, peanut butter, coconut, sugar cream, oh the list goes on.

But I stress if they are made well. I usually pass on store pies.
    Of course, I have a lot of relatives who make various home made pies so I've become a pie snob.

RyX, BamaT and Demidog like this.
  8. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Pretty much nothing makes me want vomit, but hey, to each his own. :happy102: I’ll stick with pecan pie, hold the phlegm.;)

9. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

butternut squash and acorn squash are also similar in taste to pumpkin and sweet potato.i like butternut squash baked with nutmeg ,butter and orange and brown sugar.

Frijolero, wristwatchb, RyX and 3 others like this.
  10. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I lost count a long time ago. There are many foods that I've never tried and pie just happened to be one of them. The pie I got was made by a specialty store, a small local business that is known for baked goods so I think I got a great pie. I would definitely be down for some chocolate pie too since I love all things chocolate.

Whipped cream does sound like it would go really well with pumpkin pie. I'll have to try that combo tomorrow. Unfortunately my chocolate addiction has resulted in the pie largely falling by the wayside so hopefully it's still edible when I dig in tomorrow.

Frijolero, wristwatchb and urrlord like this.
  11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

My mother used to make butternut squash pie, and it was really, really good, better than sweet potato pie in my opinion. My wife makes killer pumpkin pie.

I don’t believe anyone has mentioned apple pie yet, another winner...but it requires a little cinnamon....

12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Pumpkin Pie...my favorite at the Thanksgiving table. :eatdrink020:
    At all other times...cherry.

13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Mom made a killer Rhubarb pie.
    She made a great pumpkin pie, she started with a fresh pumpkin cooking it down, then went to make the pie crust from scratch mmmm.
    The mince meat pie was to die for.:happy093:
    Oh man, what memories from my younger days.

I can't think of growing up without such goodies.
    Gosh
    tp

14. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I have had pie before but not pumpkin. My favorite pies are pecan and sweet potato.

15. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Pumpkin, Blueberry, Strawberry Rhubarb, Apple, :happy088:.

16. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

There used to be a restaurant here in Indy called The Dutch Oven. Entree-wise, everything was fried, or smothered in gravy, or both. Good stuff, all of it. But the main attraction was the pies. Phenominal pies. Every concievable kind of pie. Made in house, from scratch. Oh, how I miss that place.

Demidog and Terry like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Key lime, when done right, like 3" of lime. Sane with coconut cream, maybe my favorite.

18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You're in Ohio. We forgive.

19. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Big +1

More like coop whip with a small amount of pumpkin pie mixed in lol.