First use; Omega 49

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Old Spice Guy, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

My brush (bought from ebay) came yesterday. As I said in the other thread it's a red one and quite a handome brush and this is definately a BIG brush measuring 5" tall and with a 27mm knot. The base is large and the bristles are quite long, 60mm to be exact (almost 2 3/8" tall).

Out of the box the brush had that "smell" we all dread, but after a good soaping and some shampoo and letting it dry overnight almost 100% of the offending odor was gone.

I used it the first time this morning with VDH (white) soap in a mug because it was handy, I think I'll try it with some Institut Karite (sp?) from Rasage Poulin tomorrow. But anyway, I had been using my new Tweezerman the last few days so it was a contrast from short small badger to huge tall boar brush.

It definately took a little longer to whip up a good lather with the 49 but not too long, I was afraid these long bristles would be "floopy" but that wasn't the case. However once loaded with soap this is definately the softest brush I've ever used, I couldn't even feel the brush at all just the lather, no "defoliating" action going on here at all, just plain soap application.

And because the brush is so big and long as soon as you put brush to face that side of your face is lathered, I mean quick. When those long bristles splay out with all that lather it covers a huge area. This would definately be the brush to go to if you're in a hurry.

The other thing I've been noticing is that boar seems to hold more heat than badger and I love hot lather. For some reason I can't get my badger brush to hold much heat no matter how long I run it under hot water. With boar I get a really hot lather and since this brush is so big (almost twice as big as my VDH boars) it seem to hold even more heat. My lather was really thick and luxurious and HOT.

So all in all I'm very happy with the brush, I mean you can't reall beat it for $14.24 to your front door in four days. If I had my druthers, I'd druther the bristles were a little shorter. If I knew how to do it correctly I'd clip about 1/2" to 3/4" off so I could feel a little more "backbone" and get a little bit of a defoliating or scrubbing action going on. But I'm not going to attempt that and mess up a good brush and besides time will probably take care of the problem. This brush should last for YEARS!

Oh yeah almost forgot, this brush has not yet lost a single hair and I consider that a good sign even though I've only used it once, my other cheapie boars began to lose hair right away and have not stopped.

My only real disappointment so far with the 49 is that the "Omega" label that is shown on all the pictures on the brush handle is not painted or embossed on as I had thought from looking at them but it was a mere stick on paper label which I promptly removed. The brush is identified with a recessed embossed name on the bottom but I kind of liked the look of the insignia on the handle but it's a small niggle, guess you can't expect too much from a brush in this price range but it's still a handsome brush, you can see it here

If you like boar and you've got big hands or just want a bigger brush, you should really give this one a try.

2. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

That is simply an outstanding review, well done.

I happen to have a 49 heading my way too, so it was very reassuring reading your report.

3. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Thanks Charles! My shave this morning with the Institut Karite soap went very well as it lathers up faster and better than the VDH. I'm really starting to love these long bristles, mostly because of the heat retention they offer. One of the main reasons I went to a brush and soap to begin with is because I love a good HOT shave and this brush accomplishes that better than any brush I've used so far. And still no hair loss to date! This is a well made brush for this price range.

I know you'll enjoy yours when it comes but be sure to post your own review, it'll be interesting to compare your experience with my own.

4. LS48

LS48 New Member

Great review on the Omega 49 Pro, Old Spice Guy (Sorry I don't know your real name) . I've had mine for a while ( it's also red....I ordered black, received a red but decided to go ahead and keep it) and I love it. It will do nothing but get softer, not floppier, since the bristles tend to split at the tips and the brush just breaks in more and more over time. You're right about heat retention and making quick work of coverage, but I've found I have to work a bit, with more of a back and forth painting motion, to acheive a thicker lather. All in all, a terrific brush and a very good value.

Cheers, Larry

5. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

Thanks for posting this review. The Omega #49 is way up there on my "I want" list:D, & I'd seen the seller on Evilbay offering them for $10.99 + $3.25 shipping, assume you bought yours from the same seller. I already have a red handled Omega- the ~4" tall, $12.95 shipped with stand model- so I was thinking of a white handled 49. I do want a bigger brush- even if it's only to find out for sure that I like a smaller one better!:happy102

The label- hmm... maybe a piece of clear packing tape over it to keep it there for a while? Nothing tacky about that, nosiree.:rolleyes:

Oh yeah- did you notice that the seller claims the bristles are "made of bristle, which is a fiber grown in nature; not animal hair". Gotta keep those vegetarians happy! :happy102

6. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Thanks Larry, sorry about the name thing, it's Tim by the way. Guess I'll go put it in my sig. Wasn't trying to hide it or anything!

You didn't say what soap/cream you're using so I don't know how to address that issue but this brush works marvelously with the Institut Karite soap (Rasage Poulin) and really I don't have any problem working up a thick lather with the VDH either, it just takes a few moments longer.

So far the only brushes I have to compare to are the VDH brushes (both white and green handled ones) and the Tweezerman and an old synthetic Gillette Plus and the 49 outshines them all.

At first those longer bristles felt funny, the softness just blew me away. But after my fourth shave with this brush (still no hair loss) I really like it. It reminds me more than any other brush of when I used to get that lather and neck shave at the barbershop.

7. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

You should definately give it a shot. Even if you decide you like the small ones better I think you'd still be very happy to have the 49 in your rotation. But my guess is it will become the "Leader of the Pack". And it's not like it costs an arm and a leg to try.

Well, I do live in the south but my "redneck" days are all behind me now so the tape is out. I knew in a couple days the hot water would soak that little label off so I just went ahead and removed it. Tape would have just prolonged the inevitable.

Yeah, I did notice that, just kind of shook my head and went on. Some of the descriptions and stuff you read on ebay are hilarious. Some of the sites that sell brushes have an instruction on how to use them and I noticed they say after lathering to wait two minutes to allow softening of the beard before shaving. Well I guess some people may do that but like I said, I like a hot lather shave and two minutes standing there at the mirror is not only an eternity when you're getting ready for work , your whole face and the lather will be cold as ice by then, so forget that nonsense!

Btw, that seller shipped my brush very quickly and it arrived in four days. The brush was in it's factory box wrapped in bubble wrap and surrounded by foam peanuts inside a strong shipping box. I would not hesitate to do business with that guy again despite his wierd description of the bristles as "fiber grown in nature". lol

8. bravefish

bravefish Member

That's just hilarious.

9. brothers

brothers Active Member

Good morning gentlemen. With all due respect I'd like to mention a detail regarding the Omega 49. Omega makes a line of brushes called "Syntex", and the Omega 49 is one of them. It is intented by Omega to be a viable alternative to both Boar and Badger, and yes, it's a fact that the bristles in this brush are not from an animal. I have no idea what it is made of, some kind of a plant I guess, but according to the manufacturer, it is not a boar brush. You can get a similarly large and useful boar brush from Omega and it is the Omega 48. Just wanted to set the record straight, that the statement made by the ebay seller is in fact accurate.

10. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

With all due respect I'd like to correct your correction, the Omega model no. 290049 is a synthetic bristle brush but is not the same as the Model no 10049 which I reviewed in this thread.

I have synthetic brushes, a badger brush and two other boars hair brushes and I know the difference. The "49" being discussed here is indeed a boarshair or "bristle" brush.

11. bravefish

bravefish Member

If is listed as "Bristle" or "Natural Bristle" or "Pure Bristle" is boar. "Syntex" is synthetic, hence the name. Either way, neither is made from plant material... so the ebay seller was wrong.

12. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Well the description does say "Natural bristle" and he is correct that it is "grown in nature" ie on a hog lol, he is wrong when he states that it is not animal hair. I just emailed the guy and told him he needs to change his description of the item on his auction. First it's just inaccurate and second someone could buy the brush thinking they are getting a synthetic.

I also told him people are laughing at him in the shaving forums for his goofy description of this brush. I'll let you know if he responds and if he changes the wording.

13. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

If you want a stiffer brush, twist a rubber band a couple of times at the base of the bristles, should tighten it up a bit... :D

14. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Yeah I suppose that would work but there's really no need, after a few days with this brush I really love it the way it is. It's now my favorite brush by a mile.

15. Tmax

Tmax New Member

Tim

I just received my Omega 49 - incidentally got it from connaughtshaving exactly as in your link.

It definately is a boar bristle brush it's product details on the Omega site are:
    omegabrush.com/english/dabarba/oggetto.php?id=60
    Clearly listed under the Pure Bristle section!

I also got some MWF soap and the Merkur Slant HD :scared001

So although my face is a little sore from my str8 workout over the weekend & this morning - I have some serious bathroom time booked for tomorrow morning :happy005

Better get up before the kids need it for school

Simon

16. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

That's great Simon! I know you'll enjoy your first shave with the 49 and each successive on just gets better as you lear the characteristics of the brush. Not that it has a big learning curve, but every brush has its own 'groove'. :)

I will leave the "str8" and DE razors for you, I am a cartridge shaver my self and very happy that way! :happy023

17. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

Just after this thread, I noticed that the Evilbay seller mentioned above had pulled his ad for the white Omega '49s. Then the ad for black ones went! I figured one of two things:
    1. We advertised them so well he sold out! And when he gets more he's gonna raise the price, sure as you know what!:sick007
    Or:
    2. We made him mad! I never should have called attention to what I'm sure was either an honest mistake, or an attempt to keep the militant vegans happy. He took all his marbles home & he's gonna sell 'em elsewhere. Me & my big mouth! :shocked002

But late Monday night, I saw that his ads are back- hooray! Old Spice Guy, he listened and changed the ads, & now identifies the brushes as being made from hog/boar bristle. :happy088

There is a downside to this though- now I have to resist buying a new white-handed Omega '49! For 1 day there, they were gone & though I kicked myself, at least I didn't have to resist!;)

18. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

That's great Stu! You know I hadn't even had time to go back and check to see if he changed anything. I'm sure he just didn't know much about brushes and had just made that up. I was very cordial in my email to him explaining the problem but I did tell him he was being laughed at on the shave forums for his description. I did NOT tell him WHICH forum lol.

19. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

My 49 showed up in the mail yesterday and I had my first shave with it last night using Godrej Menthol Mist... what absolute joy it was! A little bigger than my wood handle Omega and a little smaller than a 48; it's just right! I wish I'd picked up a 49 years ago.

20. Old Spice Guy

Old Spice Guy Member

Amazing isn't it that you can get a quality brush in this price range? I gotta thank Rick for recommending Omega and I'm very glad the 49 is the brush I chose. I look forward to my morning shave now more than I have in a while and I always look forward to my shave.

Just for contrast on Wednesday I used my VDH (white handle) and yesterday the tweezerman, both were good shaves but it was great to get back to the 49 this morning and I won't be changing off again for a while now. This is my new "go to" brush. All I want to do is think of the custom handle I want and get a 49 knot put in it. Not that there's anything wrong with the handle that came on the brush, I just want something "special", just for me you know?