First Wet Shave

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Syvfjell, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Syvfjell

Syvfjell New Member

Hi !

First real shave today. I started with low-quality products for this first time...
    I used my father's badger that's probably 20 year old or more. he one with the red handle.
    I used the white soap "monsavon" that cost less than 2 euro for a full bowl and is know to suck (it does). With that, cheapest Wilkinson blade and Rocket 59.

First it seems that i had way too much water on my badger so I ended up spreading liquid soap on my cheeks. Got rid of the extra water; things got thicker, but no great result. Will try with the Par<er soap next time.

I have very little beard because of low testosterone (health issues) so it was not a "trip to the jungle". The shaving itself went very good, had to be xtra careful because of a small mole but it went very well ! Two passes. No cut, no nick.

Took of the soap ith a wet towel and used some Mennen balm with Alun stone... felt like my whole face burnt for 30 sec and then just nice freshness.

Next report in some days !

[​IMG]

tylerSC, JRod22, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Hang in there as it will get better over time. It takes awhile to get good at making lather.

Richard Jackson likes this.
  3. Richard Jackson

Richard Jackson Well-Known Member

Amen to that, especially hard soaps. For me, its easiest to load up a hard soap with a boar brush and face lather. I always lather crèmes in a bowl. I think the face lathering technique provides more resistance, agitates the soap, and combines it easier with water than the slick surface of a lather bowl or scuttle. Sometimes I use my hand if it needs extra work. Enjoy!

Jayaruh likes this.
  4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

WW is right..it'll take some time, but just keep at it and it'll get better. The set up looks alright and your just on time for TTO week..:D

5. Syvfjell

Syvfjell New Member

TTO ? :p

6. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Twist-to-Open, the one piece razors you twist the end of the handle to open the doors for blade loading.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

TTO = Twist To Open; twist the knob (usually at the bottom of the handle) and the doors of the head of the razor open up. Sometimes called a Butterfly Razor. We have this entire week dedicated to the TTO here ---> TTO Theme Week

Some helpful abbreviations ---> *click*

Richard Jackson likes this.
  8. Syvfjell

Syvfjell New Member

TTO week or not I haven't much choice hehe I only have the Rocket !

9. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

You're doing fine. Learning how to build a lather takes time & repition.

10. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Congratulations each day the shaves will be better. Remember the three p's take time to prep, be patient, and less pressure works the best.

11. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

And there's not a thing wrong with the Rocket. Very nice razor!

12. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Excellent choice of razors!​

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That Rocket looks like it is a nice razor. You should get good results with it. Welcome to the den, where shaving is fun.

14. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

After soaking the brush, squeeze out the water and flick the brush a few times, then swirl onto the soap. If it's too watery at first and you have liquidy soap, just flick that off and swirl some more soap and start painting the face. If it's dry, add a dab of water at a time, until you have the consistency you want. Even if the lather isn't creamy peaks, a wet lather works or even watery soapy coating.

I shave with a straight and it likes a wetter lather. After my first pass, I sometimes just add water to my face for the next passes.

Use no pressure and the lowest angle that cuts the hair and you're good to go. I got a lot of irritation when I first started wet shaving almost two years ago, so I started cold water shaving and got rid of the irritation. Razor rash and bumps started appearing recently, so I only do with the grain and across the grain passes. No against the grain. Now no rashes, bumps, burn or irritation.

I cannot lather Parker soap for some reason. The cheaper one you started with may be better or see if you can get an Arko stick. Arko is cheap.

Wet you face and then rub the stick into the whiskers. Then use the brush to face lather.

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011: good advice...

16. Syvfjell

Syvfjell New Member

Third shave today; used the paker soap. I lathered directly on the soap with an OK result, though it lays a thin layer on the skin. I don't know if it's how it's supposed to be, I lack exemples, but I remember my father's basi williams cream to be thick and foamy.

Anyways. Took it easy, multiple passes, went very good but I have difficulties shaving the angle of the shin and some parts of the neck. Despite multiple passes and different anglesI still feel "spikes" under my fingers.

Cold water and Nuxe Men balm after that.