Fixing A Broken Coticule

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Timwcic, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

This was found at the flea market a few weeks ago. At first thought is was two broken Coti's until I got home. Put the two pieces together and they become one. Can not let a wavy natural remain in this state. A while ago, I rescued a BBW that lost its coticule. Seller told me the yellow part fell off, broke and through it away. Time to make a marriage of stones. I first glued the Coti together with gel CA to ooze out any fill any divots on the surface. After cured, a few holes with a small masonry drill in both pieces for a good mating foundation. Embedded the two together with a good dose of epoxy also to ooze out also to fill any voids. Cut and trimmed with a diamond blade in a chop saw. To the lapping table and diamond disk to clean up. Rough lapped both sides up to 220. Will hit it again with higher grit when ready to play with. It will live to hone again.

IMG_2510.JPG IMG_2511.JPG IMG_2512.JPG IMG_2513.JPG IMG_2514.JPG IMG_2515.JPG IMG_2516.JPG IMG_2517.JPG IMG_2518.JPG IMG_2519.JPG

Paul76, DaltonGang, Zykris and 4 others like this.
  2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Wow Tim - Nice work! That really turned out beautifully.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Fantastic Save!

4. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Amazing job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy096: Great job!

6. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Very nice job! :happy088:

7. Robstreperous

Robstreperous Well-Known Member

Wow. I am really impressed. That's a beautiful job.

Did you save any of the dust from the drilled out sections by any chance?

8. Timwcic

Thank You gentlemen for the kind words. I am glad I saved a coticule to show my appreciation for the edges it's Coti brothers gives my SR

No but I did saved the small drop piece of BBW for future use. It has a nice maroon tint to it. Not red or deep maroon to call it a Salm, but nice

9. Robstreperous

I've always wanted to learn more about coticules. Guess I found something else to research.

The reason I asked about is (haven't done this myself) I've heard on my knife board you can mix the dust in with the glue you're using to mend the cracks and it will help ease the transition between the two pieces. Really, really beautiful job you did though.

10. Timwcic

I did think about tinting the CA glue with dust but did not think it was worth the effort. When lapped the CA has no effect on performance. You can see the small filled divots but can not feel them. Smooth as a baby's you know what.

The Coti rabbit hole can be a big deep place. Just some of my Coti family from last winter. Some green and pink in there. All were found in the wild

IMG_1938.JPG

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Robstreperous

Oh I hear you about that rabbit hole!!! One of these days I need to take a picture of my JNats. It all started innocently enough. Kind of how I know eventually there's a straight razor in my future. I love sharpening my knives as much as I like using htem.

Wow.. hunting them in the wild!! There's a thought.

Robyflexx likes this.