Fixing a double edge razor

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by N00bie, Jul 27, 2015.

1. N00bie

N00bie Active Member

Not sure of where to post so feel free to move. While at the flea market yesterday with my girlfriend, I stumbled across a nice looking schick double edge razor but there was one problem: when you turned the end on the handle to change the blade, the head turned. You had to hold the head while turning the knob, otherwise you just spun the head.

The price wasn't terrible but I dislike buying something that needs work like that. Is there a way to fix it? I'd love to have one in my collection because I don't see that brand often but don't want a broken razor

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  2. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I don't know a whole lot about razor repair. hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. the local flea markets and antique stores are great places to find vintage razors. sometimes they are cheap and sometimes they have the price of gold so its good to shop around.

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The only repair I've seen suggested for this issue is a few drops of epoxy. Clean the area where you plan to apply the epoxy with rubbing alcohol first, and keep the epoxy off of parts that are supposed to move.

4. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

is it a TTO or 3 piece? is this due to corrosion or gunk build up?.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's a TTO, and this is not the only time this has happened to other owners of the Schick Krona.

A couple of posters on B&B have had it happen to them as well.

6. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Marine epoxy works well. Also you can use a small amount of plumbers cement. I don't like using this stuff to often but it does work. It bonds the surfaces so be careful to use only a small amount

7. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

If your heart is set on keeping it and can wait awhile, Captain Murphy on B&B might be able to help. He fixes razors but his deployment (active Military) schedule and backlog keeps him from accepting new work ATM.

8. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I have been hearing good things about gorilla epoxy.
    Good luck!

9. N00bie

N00bie Active Member

Well they wanted 6 bucks for it which I don't mind paying for a perfectly functioning one (I usually get them $6-$10) but since this one needs work, would It be rude to offer them 4 bucks?

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Sounds like a Krona. I think the epoxy idea might work.
    krona11.jpg

11. N00bie

N00bie Active Member

Made two trips this morning to the flea market and the guy who had the razors was no-where to be found. I had been watching some eBay listings and there was a razor listed like the one I found local but also needed some work. It was $8 with free shipping but I got it for $6. The black portion of the handle spins around the rod is what the listing says. It's clean though so I'm thinking I can just glue the plastic peice and nobody will ever notice

[​IMG]