Flare tip and red tip

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Swampfox, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

I just got a 56 SS flare tip. would it be worth getting a red tip?

AGHisBBS, MR41, Jorvaljr and 4 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

if the price is right get both,good to compare..but shave with each for a month to see which one you like..with little variables..

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  3. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Redtip I can get $30-45. The Ss flare tip is almost mint.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i am biased because i only use vintage gillettes..but those are a good place to start..if you don't like them you can resell them..the mint ss is a nice razor.. akeeper..

stuartganis and Frijolero like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I got the Flare tip, Blue & Red just to have the whole set. While the regular Super Speed is a great shave, I do prefer the heavier handle and slightly more aggressive nature of the Red Tip. Because the Blue Tip is fitted with an aluminum handle it's much lighter & I'm less impressed with the mild nature.

When shopping for a Red Tip it's common to see chipped paint on the bottom knob. If you spend a little less and get one that's straight but slightly flawed. check with your local discount store for matching finger nail polish for matching touch up paint.
    Red for a Red Tip.gif

AGHisBBS, MR41, gorgo2 and 6 others like this.
  6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

If you're expecting a substantially different shave, it will probably be a letdown. If you just prefer the feel of a heavier handle, then that it does have. If you don't know, it's always worth trying.

brit, Hembree and RyX like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have owned them both. It's simply a matter of which razor feels better in your hand. They both shave the same.

Herm2502, brit, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  8. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Thank you I think I may save my $30 n look for a 1960 adjustable n a 1930s Gillette

brit, Hembree and RyX like this.
  9. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Me too, and I can get an excellent shave with any of them...

[​IMG]

B3/'56 Blue Tip, A1/'55 Flare Tip, B2/'56 Red Tip.

stuartganis, AGHisBBS, preidy and 7 others like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Is that Wine Red?

Frijolero, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  11. jimjo1031

:signs011:

Frijolero, brit and Hembree like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

How-we-see-colors-Women-vs-Men.gif
    Good question Jim. I brought the razor with me and scanned the rack until I found the closest one. Being a discount store, Family Dollar may not stock the same products in different regions, or week by week.

13. jimjo1031

I have a craft paint called Tuscan Red, which is an exact match. But I think a fingernail polish would be tougher and last longer. As most of the red is already gone, I prepped it by lightly sanding the tip with a sanding sponge and using a #11 hobby blade, scraped the lines removing the paint. It's now been primed with self etching primer waiting for the fingernail polish.

14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I disagree. I find the Red Tip a much smoother shave. The regular SS head always been uncomfortable for me, perhaps because it's too mild. But then, YMMV.

Herm

preidy, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    C'est la vie! :)

Herm2502, brit and Frijolero like this.
  16. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I've heard here and on other forums that "International Harvester Red" is an exact match for the red tip but I don't know where you can get it in smaller quantities, other than enough to spray one of these :(...

[​IMG]

Herm2502, brit and Frijolero like this.
  17. jimjo1031

brit likes this.
  18. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Question I know it is off topic. I have a fat handle Gold Tech, and was wanting to know what is the difference between it and a Aristocrat from the 1940s?

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

there are a few variants in those 2 razor types..maybe @BBS can answer ..

20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It isn't but you'd never know after repainting it unless you put up against another red tip. The red tips have more brown in them than that color. Take your red tip to the store and compare it against the can cap if it is colored or color on the label.

Also don't spray it, they give off too much particulate from the nozzle and you'll wind up with little nubs in the paint. I originally painted mine with a thin tip paint brush but it shed too much and wound up remove all the paint and redid it spraying it. If it was for a customer I would have redid it a third time.

If you want it to set well spray onto a piece of cardboard or such and then use the brush that doesn't shed and paint it that way then bake the razor at 250f or so for a few hours then do the same on the second touch up after about 24 hours.

Frijolero, kfbrady and brit like this.