Floid Blue fans

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by cmorris357, Apr 2, 2018.

1. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Ever since Floid Blue was discontinued, I have looked everywhere for it, buying it as I found it. I can no longer find it anywhere at a price I'm willing to pay, I've tried various substitutes including Myrsol Blue, Barrister and Mann Reserve Cool, and Italian Barber Blue Barbershop ( which is the closest match so far). Today I received an email from Bullgoose supplies touting a new product claiming to be an exact match, down to the 400ml apothecary bottle. $35 shipped to my house is a little pricey, but less than I have payed for Floid after the discontinuation.
    IMG_2035.JPG
    Report will follow upon receipt.
    Carry on.

2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I have never tried Floid Blue, but do have the RazoRock Blue Barbershop and rather like it. Looking forward to your report on the Epsilon!

3. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Thank you cmorris357 for the heads up. Its greatly appreciated.

cliffb599, Yehuda D and cmorris357 like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I heard it was the same thing as AV. :cool:

jeraldgordon, Yehuda D and cliffb599 like this.
  5. cmorris357

In the same way that Korbel is the same as Dom Perignon. They're both sparkling wine, but one is a little more sophisticated. ;)

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It's actually a 500ml bottle. Enjoy and report back.

cmorris357 and Yehuda D like this.
  7. SFTrooper

SFTrooper Active Member

I am looking forward to your review.

cmorris357 likes this.
  8. cmorris357

Even better. I'm hoping for good things. I'm down to 4 & 1/2, 400ml bottles of real Floid Blue.

wristwatchb likes this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am good for a few months.
    IMG_8471.jpg

10. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

Hard to procure= North of the border...
    Can't ship from Europe or the USA

11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I just grabbed a small bottle of NOS from Spain.

12. cmorris357

The Epsilon Mediterranean Blue arrived today, and it's the closest thing to Floid I've found yet. Sniffing from the bottle, there's an herbal note in the background that I don't smell in Floid, but upon application it disappears and smells almost exactly like Floid. Face feel is at least as good. The only dings I can give are the bottle shape is not as classy, and the top is cheap plastic, but the Floid cap fits on the Epsilon bottle, so I'll swap it out when I empty it. The longevity remains to be seen, but so far so good.

13. HMan

HMan New Member

I just received a sample pack of it with an order from Gifts and Care.
    Yes you nailed the description cmorris. Going on it's like Floid Blue with an earthy herbal undertone and a bright lemony overtone.
    It feels and smells overall a bit lighter and brighter than Floid, and wow a fantastic crisp menthol blast.
    As it's drying down, almost exactly like Floid, it just remains a bit lighter and brighter which is actually a positive IMO.
    That herbal bit, not so sure, but I bet it would grow on me.

Yeah I can see nabbing a bottle of this, I like it!

14. HMan

HMan New Member

Following up on my last post, on complete dry down this stuff is indeed a near dead ringer for Floid Blue to my nose at least.

Longevity is long, I'm still catching subtle whiffs of it this morning after shaving at 8pm last night.

Ijustmissedthe50s and cmorris357 like this.
  15. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

I have two 400ml bottles left but like you all eventually I'll have to figure out what next & am looking forward to this review.

The only substitute I've tried is a RazoRock blue but I hated it -- the top notes smell the same as Floid but underneath that there is a weird sweat-sock smell to it that kinda grosses me out.

Out of curiosity, is it known why the co. that makes Floid blue doesn't re-up it and make it again? This is such a cult item it seems like they would make some coin from it.

16. HMan

HMan New Member

I actually wrote Floid a couple of times asking them to bring it back. Never got a reply.
    Most likely it's just not a big seller for them on the scale they market. We're still a relatively small part of the market of people who use aftershave.

Check out the few posts before yours for more review info. On dry down, this is essentially the same as Floid Blue. On application, it's different, but not like sweat socks, and that totally disappears on total dry down.

17. PLAla

18. cmorris357

I really haven't used it much. Only a couple of times after the initial trial, but I'm digging it. It's by far the closest thing I've found to Floid.

PLAla likes this.
  19. HMan

HMan New Member

FWIW I used my sample and have been seriously Jonesing for more. The positive thing being I now feel 100% fine with using the Blue I have left and then I'll pick up this magic elixir.

I did pick up a bottle of Williams (Spanish) Aqua Velva, and having tried that and loved it as well I can say that basically Epsilon goes on quite like the AV but with more of a menthol blast and dries down quite like Floid Blue.

20. PLAla

Used the Epsilon Blue this morning for the first time. Really liked it! It's more muted and sophisticated than the RazoRock Blue Barbershop. RazoRock is more powdery. The Epsilon has a great face feel with some obvious glycerin worked into the formula.