Floppy brush fixed

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Infotech, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I had an idea last night when my wife asked me to get a hair tie for the dog. These things are a very tiny, clear plastic material used for putting a pony tail in the dogs hair. Well, my Bk4 is super floppy and I was looking right at it when I grabbed one of these bands out of the bathroom for her. I noticed that they were just the right size to fit around the knot. I decided to put one of these things around it to see if it would tighten it up. These little bands could have been made for this. It went right on and then moved down almost inside the handle. For good measure I put one more on it. The results were nice. The brush no longer splays out to the hilt and is still super soft. I get a little bit more but not too much scrub action out of the Bk4 now.

They're called Goody's Ouchless Hair Bands and are clear so you can't even see anything on the brush.

Attached Files:

2. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I was just thinking recently about what one could use to adjust the firmness of a brush, and thought maybe rubbberbands, this is an awesome moment of serendipity, my friend. Genius.

3. omegapd

omegapd New Member

I think every one of my brushes has the rubber band treatment. :D Mine are all inexpensive boars and I got tired of some shedding- and the band helps keep everything together. Your bands look much nicer, though...

4. riffin

riffin Active Member

I first tried this with regular rubber bands, but the hairs got caught and bent, or stuck out under or between the bands. It didn't look like it was good for the brush. :)

Then I got the idea of wrapping a strip of two sided velcro around the base of the knot. I cut them into various widths. That worked very well. The only problem was that at certain angles I got some scrapes my face from the velcro.

I'll keep an eye open for these. They look "slipperier" them rubber bands.

5. Spk282

Spk282 New Member

Very nice find, Ive always kind of just thrown away brushes that went bad but they have all been cheapies and now im getting a BLK4 and certainly don't want to throw away something that expensive.

6. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

They are "slipperier" than rubberbands. The "ouchless" comes from the fact that hair doesn't get caught in these like regular rubber bands. These are more of an elastic plastic. For instance, you couldn't pop somebody with one of these... but they hold really well.

7. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I have used rubberbands with moderate success

8. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Good idea!

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I don't have any brushes I want to do that to right now, but I'll keep it in mind. My daughter has some of the colored variety. Thanks for sharing a great idea.

11. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I could see how that would work. Good idea!