Focus R48

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jaro, Oct 13, 2019.

1. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

hello all anyone tried this razor? what do you think of it?? i am interested in it but i hear so much both ways about it that im afraid to spend that much and then hate it... thanks in advance...

cliffb599 likes this.
  2. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

PM SENT.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

3. Jenks

Jenks Active Member

Same reply as your other post ;)

I love it. Shave with it daily. And, for me, provides the best combination of comfort and closeness of all that I have tried.
    However, if you are into wet shaving because you like mastering tools and technique, this will not be for you: it is too "easy" as it is much like a cartridge experience with the pivoting head. For me, it is the face feel when I walk out the door that is the goal and this delivers.
    I have since upgraded to the R50 and like it even better.

When I have time and I feel the need, I do use open blade, SE, and traditional DE razors. I sometimes get better results with these than the R48/50 but rarely. I don't put enough time into them to have a consistent technique whereas I use the R50 pretty much daily.

Edison Carter and jaro like this.
  4. jaro

Thanks again for the reply again

5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

:signs011:

I have 2 Focus R48 razors. Great for a quick awesome, comfortable shave, every time. It is the only razor I use to 'chase the baby' every time. Easy catch.

Proper blade loading is critical. I load both halves of a blade in one of each of my razors at the same time.

Shaving technique is its own.

I like to use Feather blades since the razor is so mild. I go 4 uses per 1/2 blade.

Much of the negatively comes from folks that never used one or loaded the blade carelessly.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have never used one. I can not figure what would be the thought process with it though. It looks like a plastic cart garbage thingie. It appears that you have to learn another technique to use it and it's expensive. Why get away from a real razor?

brit likes this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

What is the time difference for you using a real razor and the plastic looking dohicky? A shave with a real razor is easily under 10 minutes. Just courious here.

brit likes this.
  8. jaro

Well what do you mean a "real razor". Also the r48 is not plastic. If by real razor you mean things like straight razors, DE razors , Se razors , shavettes i have a lot of those and i use them a lot but i also like variety and different things. Thank you for your question...

brit likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Good man. Using something new for the experience is awesome. Good luck if you get one. I know not plastic. It just looks like a cheap plastic thingie!

brit likes this.
  10. jaro

Thanks.yeah new things. New experiences.. It looks interesting and i want to try it.. I have schicks and enders and various SE razors.. I enjoy different devices they are fun.

brit and wchnu like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am starting the hunt for an Enders.

The TNNSER 3D is also a lot of fun. It holds true to the classic SE design.

http://theoriginalsafety2.com/thread/3562/tnnser-3d

brit and jaro like this.
  12. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

FWIW, the owner of one of the other shave forums that specializes in single edge razors once suggested to his followers a group buy of these 1/2 DE Single Edge pivoting plastic razors.

download (1).jpeg

:happy102:

brit likes this.
  13. jaro

As soon as i get a 3d printer im gonna make a tnnser 3d unless i find someone with a 3d printer already.. Also good luck on the enders hunt. I got mine on ebay, I got lucky and found a black one in original box for less than 10 dollars. There are plenty of deals out there. Theres one right now on there that also comes with a schick injectof for less than 15 dollar including shipping for both..

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is not bad at all!

jaro and brit like this.
  15. Jenks

Jenks Active Member

I do a 2 pass shave -- XTG then ATG -- 5 minutes for the shaving part, another 5 for the lathering and cleanup. I do a fair amount of buffing on the ATG pass and the R48 makes that easy.

Kamisori shavette yesterday. Diversity is also good.