Foods You Hate

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Ryan B, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'm not very picky, but I can't stand the following foods.

1. Peas.
    2. Anything with a ton of mayo.
    3. Grits.
    4. Octopus.
    5. Sweet plantain.
    6. Green olives.

Pretty much anything else is fair game. But no amount of hot sauce will get me to stomach those things I listed.

crackstar likes this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I'm not that picky but I'm with you on the mayo! I steer away from anything that doesn't taste good enough for me to work off these days. :)

3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I love octopus it just has to be cooked right or it will be rubbery. I eat pretty much everything. Yes even the unusual... Only two things I can't stand is squash and avocado.

4. Ryan B

My first run in with octopus happened when I was in Puerto Rico when I was 3. My uncle had an octopus taco and I kept bugging him to let me try it, so he did. I took a huge bite and told my grandma and aunt that I didn't like it.

They told me to spit it out, so I spit out on the floor in the middle of the restaurant... I know I had no manners.

5. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I could not eat Octopus. If you are a Scuba diver you know that they are very intelligent and are fun to play with on a night dive. To me it would be like eating a dolphin.
    Don't like:
    Watermelon
    Vegemite
    Menudo
    Ham (but I like bacon)

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  6. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

A list of foods I absolutely hate:

1) Anything my wife cooks.
    2) Anything my wife cooks
    3) Refer to 1 and 2

elduderino914, 45auto and J.F. Martin like this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think I've eaten a lot of different foods in my life....alligator on a stick in New Orleans, chocolate covered crickets in Vietname, snake heart also in Vietnam, Surstromming (fermented fish in Sweden), Kangaroo in Australia, fish as fresh as killed a couple of minutes before sashimi'ing it, etc, etc...

...but...I still can't eat cucumbers/pickles. Hate it :D

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I was the pickiest eater as a boy—the pickiest! My poor mother.
    Times change—I eat or at least try everything nowadays. I don't really hate any food. there are just some i prefer to avoid. ;)
    Now there are some exotic foods out there (see Darkbulb's partial list above) that are easy choices to add to the list,
    but if we're talking everyday foodstuffs, my list of 'foods I avoid' is rather brief.

Brains —had 'em a variety of ways & none did I wish to have again.
    Coolwhip— sweetened chemical fluff; I'll take REAL whipped cream, thanks….
    Frozen fish sticks — hated them as a kid; now the hatred has dissolved into determined avoidance

Two from the exotic list:
    Lutefisk — Nordic white fish prepared with lye; as ghastly as it sounds.
    haggis — as horrid as the ingredients are in a freshly made one, I have tried it one step beyond: canned haggis—the closest thing to eating canned dog food as one could imagine.

dscaver likes this.
  9. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Not big on Pork
    I also LOATHE Kale.

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Mint.
    Thin mints.
    Mint ice cream.
    Apricots
    Sweet potatoes

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I detect there's something about 'mint' you're not fond of….;)
    I probably could have added 'fresh mint' to my list above—we have bushels of it in our garden. I'm not crazy about it as an herbal addition to most foods, but I do like it in ice cream,candies, gum, juleps….

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. Ryan B

Yeah sweet potatoes are another thing I forgot to add. Disgusting.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Actually lutefisk (Norway) or lutfisk (Sweden) is pretty tasty :)
    Not something I'd eat every day but once in a while it's a treat.

[​IMG]

Norseman likes this.
  14. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

I was raised to eat what was on my plate and I guess it's always stuck with me, more or less. I'm not too finicky but when I'm presented with something that's not exactly a favourite I just try and think of the hospitality and general good vibes of the cook or host, and that's usually enough to set me up with a decent appetite.

I don't usually go a bundle on brussels sprouts, which is odd because I really enjoy cabbage just about any way it comes. And I've had my share of the offal cuts (sweetbreads Kevin? :p), blood puddings and the like, even the occasional balut! There's a heavy minerally flavor to a lot of that sort of thing that I don't seem to mind.

And haggis has to be fresh of course, but the real key is to mix it all together with the tatties and nips, and wash it down with a pint or two of heavy (large malt on the side!).

:eatdrink020: :eatdrink023: :eatdrink047:

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ok I agree - Balut is not something I'd ever eat again. When it's so developed it has a full beak and feathers it's just, to me, just plain wrong. I got one down once...not seeing myself ever doing it again.

[​IMG]

fram773 likes this.
  16. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Lol, I avoid that stuff myself. It is supposed to be a delicacy, especially around Christmas time. But it is not something I have any desire to eat. Truth be told I have never actually tried it, and will have to do so sometime. But not today, not tomorrow. But maybe next decade :)

I hate onions, olives and I am not too fond of cucumber or coffee. But I am working on that.

I love milk, just plain regular milk. But some milk types like fermented and kefir types I have decided that I never want to drink.
    I am very picky about my milk and will never drink "foreign" milk, although I have been known to make exceptions to Danish and Swedish milk. This is something I decided when I was a kid, and have never been able to get passed as an adult

17. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

As a vegan I don't eat any animal products so I guess my list would be
    1. All animal products
    2. Kale
    3. Brussel sprouts
    4. Leeks
    5. Quinoa ... no idea what it tastes like but I hate the silly name and the fact that it's suddenly supposed to be some kind of wonder food.

If you are wondering about why a vegan uses Cella that contains tallow all I can say is that I didn't read the ingredients list when I fell in love. mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa – "through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault"

J.F. Martin and BigMark like this.
  18. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

When I was a kid my diet consisted primarily of meat and potatoes with some soup added in the mx every now and then. I hated everything. Now, I eeat just about everything, there are some things i would rather avoid like tripe, brain and collard but I will eat them if they're served. And I'll try anything at least once

19. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Hate is pretty strong word...

Things considered to be food (in some areas of the world)
    that I pass on without fail:

1. Beets
    2. Okra
    3. Cella

There may be a few others, but these are definitely on my no-fly list.

20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm not find of
    blood sausage
    Mac n cheese
    okra, when it's slimy