[For NBJ participants]: What is the first thing you'll be buying in August?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Darkbulb, Jul 9, 2014.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm buying a bench strop from Glen. without a strop my exploration into straight razors is sorta on hold. he told me they would be available in August. beside I'm gonna send in my razors for tune up.
    I'm gonna get a few things from here at the shave den shop. but my plans can wait another few weeks.

RaZorBurn123 and HolyRollah like this.
  2. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Rod, of Stirling Soaps, has indicated he would make a Glacial Jasmine Sambac soap, so. . . yeah.

RaZorBurn123, HolyRollah and Omelmad like this.
  3. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hmm... I do not have many soaps, nor razors or aftershave. But I don't really feel the need to buy a lot of new things. I have decided to settle with Astra sp.

I'm feeling like pursuing a gillette slim or fatboy. But you know, i still have alot to learn with technique. Thats Why Im gonna wait.

BUT, i am very interested in pinaud clubman AS. Virgin Island bay rum, Classic, vanilla. And then lucky tiger Aspen and aqua velva hahaha. But i might just start with Virginia island bay rum. 2 12oz bottles. It Would cost just a LITTLE bit more than getting 1 bottle here in sweden

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    Bristle Me and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

It is not even half-way through the month. No no more shave soaps the rest of ther year. Just AS. No Arko , nothing at all but AS.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

Full size bottles of TSD cologne & aftershave in the English Fern scent. This sample I have is really nice and goes well with the Barrister & Mann Fougere soaps that have become my favorites.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

does it smell anything like Irish Spring? I was considering getting it but some people said it smelled like IS and I hate the smell of it.

7. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

It's been years since I've smelled IS so it's hard for me to say. It didn't make me think of it. It's a bright, fresh scent. I can pick out lavender, but there's a lot more than that going on as well.

8. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

English Fern is generally made of some combination of Lavender, Geranium, Clover, Patchouli, Sandalwood and Oakmoss. It's the basis of the "Fougere" family of colognes (Fougere means "Fern-like"), first developed by Paul Parquet by including Coumarin in the mix for Fougere Royale in 1884; this cologne was notable for being the first known deliberate attempt to create a scent that was evocative of the concept of a scent, rather than imitating a natural scent, as ferns do not naturally have a scent. Bergomot is sometimes included to accentuate the Lavender's sharpness.

A quick perusal of Basenotes and Fragrantica indicates that most folks do not consider Irish Spring to be representative of the same type of fragrance, although there are colognes that come close to Irish Spring, apparently.

ObiDon, fram773 and Chuck F like this.
  9. BigMark

10. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. BigMark

Very unfair DarkBulb. I am so confused right now. You are making me look at all these products now. Hopefully I have finally decided. Why must I be double minded about shaving products.

13. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

"This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was, hmm? What he was doing. Hmm. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things."

:yoda

14. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I went a little crazy prior to NBJ and lets just say i have been receiving stuff everyday since the 4th. I have enough gear to last me the whole year. My focus has been on converting the next generation of shavers..one Airman & student at a time. In August I will purchase more brushes to complete some starter kits. These guys are so facinated by traditional wet shaving. They call it "old school- but cool" There is nothing better than hearing one of them say that they "are NEVER going back to wasting money on catridge razors" It just makes my day!

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That's fantastic I think!

16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

If you can, please donate to TSD! $5 will do a lot of good. So far I think we have 4 members who have donated under the NBJ. Thank you! Kerry
    Edit: 5 members of the NBJ have donated. Very kind of all of us.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    Omelmad and Dapper-in-a-can-man like this.
  17. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'll also have to buy a bottle of Myrsol Formula F or maybe a bottle of Blue.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  18. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Oh God my shopping list is getting huge, I forgot about Myrsol aftershaves and another bottle of emulsion!

Ryan B and Omelmad like this.
  19. KnockOut Shave

KnockOut Shave Well-Known Member

I want to congratulate all you guys doing no buy July! I know its got to be hard and yet it is a good thing to do. Congrats guys! Keep strong!

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  20. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Probably witch hazel - I am getting low. Nothing else.