Formal Introduction/Getting into Straights

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by The Flying Frenchman, May 13, 2010.

1. Hello Everybody,

I signed up a month ago but opted to lurk instead of formally introduce myself. My name is Kyle and I'm a 19 year old college kid from the Charlotte, NC area. It's been an excellent month. Since I ditched my fusion the shaves have much improved and the AD's have been fun.
    Before I got into DE shaving I had always wanted a straight razor. After watching some videos posted on YouTube and reading through the various threads here, I've decided that I'm going to give it a try.

On to the questions.

In a newbie thread from a year back or so somebody recommended a RupRazor starter set, it seems to have been sound advice. Does anybody here have experience with the Gold Dollar razor or Filly strop that come with that set?
    A little information. I'll be in Brazil for two years on a mission trip. I won't really have the time to hone a razor. I was wondering if used in rotation about once or twice a week with good stropping, if the razor will need honing during a two year period? If so I suppose I can always ship it off and rely on my DE's.
    Essentially I am looking for a relatively inexpensive and simple way to get into straight razor shaving. Any advice or input would be much appreciated. I know that there are already a few other threads going on right now about intro to straight shaving. I went to straight razor place, they had some good info. However I like the open friendliness that The Shave Den has.
    Thank you all for helping out a newbie :D

Edit: Should perchance this beginners combo not be advised. Would a WTB in the Classifieds be a good place to begin my straight shaving adventure?

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the Rup setup but Ken Rup has a good reputation. He has sold sets which included the Polish surgical razor the Wapi in the pas tand they seem to be well received. Mr. Rup seems respected for his restorations and honing. There is a video of him honing a straight at SRD.

The Gold Dollar razor is controversial both here and on SRD. To some cheap junk razor to others acceptable, its a debate. If you trust Mr. Rups ability to make it a shaver , $60 for a shave ready straight and strop is the lowest cost you'll find .

The solution to your honing dilemma is a paste called chromium oxide , its available from many straight razor vendors. This paste, used between honings will keep your razor sharp. You could ask Mr. Rup if the back of his strop might be acceptable for the paste? There is a fellow on SRD selling a low cost balsa strop setup including paste, its under $20.

3. I figure that if Mr. Rup can't make it shave ready. (Which I highly highly doubt) that there is another member here or at SRP that would be willing to hone it for a small fee. Also the idiot that I am. I missed the part last night where he clearly states that the rougher backside is pasted with 0.5 micron CrOx. I figure I can just get a 1 micron or something if I need a paste to work the edge a little more aggressively.

I'll check out SRP I suppose. I'll have to be getting a second strop probably, since I don't trust myself to not knick a strop. Speaking of which, that was another reason I looked at this starter set. For the cost of shipping Mr. Rup will kindly re-hone your razor as much as you need for the first three months or something like that. So I figure that might come in handy while I learn to strop.

Edit: It has just occurred to me to ask. For a hundred dollars on BST, would it be possible to find a member willing to sell both a razor and a strop for a beginner?

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    How about we send you off in style ok????

Ivan/Gugi over at SRP and good friend of mine, just happened to give me a rather nice Bengall blade.. It needed a bit of polishing, and some scales, and honing.... Hmmmm sounds like a full custom restore huh??? :eek:

Anyway I have just a bit more to finish up on it, and you can have it...

So find yourself a really good Linen/Leather strop and pm me your address I should have it done by Monday morning and will send it out to you.... :D

Yes I'll post you some pics right here of it... after I pin it together

Enjoy !!!

5. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

:happy096:happy096:happy096

Frenchman

You'll never get a better offer than this. I have two GDs and I like them well enough, but my old Bengall is worth ten of the pair of them as a shaver, and Glen's restoration work is very highly regarded around here.

Best Regards

goshawk

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Very, very generous of you Glen! :happy096 :signs107

7. I can see that! I saw some of Glen's work over at Straight Razor Place. Simply amazing.

An excellent reminder of how wonderful the online shaving community is. Definitely will leave me with something to look forward to when I return from my two year hiatus.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

You will love the Bengall - perhaps the most under rated straight out there, but I think that is changing.

Good onya Glen!

James.

9. Chimensch

Chimensch Member

Absolutely take Glen up on his offer, you will be really happy.

10. Batness

Batness New Member

(OH MAN I know nothing about straights, but I had to comment dang I love Tintin. Liking the icon! Sounds like you found a great blade here.)

11. rrp1501

rrp1501 New Member

Welcome to the world of straight razors! You might try your old razor once or twice just to see the difference, but there are no substitute for a good straight razor shave! If you keep your razor stropped and dry, it shouldn't need honing for quite awhile. Always give it a few passes, I do 10, after your shave (make sure razor is dry first though) and that should do it. Only one more thind watch out for the RAD!

12. du212

du212 Well-Known Member

I have honed the 108 and the 208 modells of Gold Dollar, they not are very well finished, but they get a sharp edge,....they pass the hanging air tests without problems. If you want only a shave with a straight you can choose them, if you want something more good looking maybe you should choose other razor.

The worst feature of the gold dollars are thhe scales, bad mounted, low quality, better to get new scales or old and change them.

13. Question to all you straight users? On average about how long does stropping your razor before a shave take after you get a little practice? From all of the videos that I've seen it doesn't look too terribly time consuming.
    I think this will satisfy the RAD for a little while :D I just bought a slim adjustable three weeks ago, and an old Gillette open comb two weeks ago. I think its enough razors for another week or so when I get this one XD.

14. I suppose that a Gold Dollar razor might make a decent launching point for an attempt at making new scales then. I've been looking at all these articles online, and with a background in woodworking I think it would be a lot of fun.

15. du212

du212 Well-Known Member

I don't know the exact time that I spend stropping, I didn't look at the watch when shaving...I think that I spende about 2-3 minutes stroping, 50 passes in felt, and 50 in cowhide

16. du212

du212 Well-Known Member

My Double arrow with Trespa (a material to made swimming pool borders) Scales

[​IMG]

17. Thanks! du212. I had it in my mind for some reason that stropping was this long ten-fifteen minute process in itself, like it took more time than actually shaving.
    Since I'll be on a tight schedule as a missionary I'm looking to make it a quick and easy thing.

Edit: Wow! Saw the picture of the scales after I posted the first message. That razor looks a darn fine more respectable than the plain white scales.

18. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Bengall 5/8 in Midnight Blue Acrylic

There ya go, I'll get it on the hones, and all tweaked up this weekend....
    Should be heading out East to you on Monday morning...

BTW something to note, is this is an older Bengall, no England stamp, and also the Cast Sheffield Steel stamp

Enjoy !!!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

19. basil

basil Well-Known Member

wow very lucky indeed to be getting that razor!

Glen as always amazing work!

20. *picking up jaw off ground* Gorgeous work! I can't wait to see it in person.