Fougere?

Discussion in 'Scents' started by PLAla, Jan 2, 2017.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

What exactly is a fougere scent? I've read some online about it but it seems like it can be a wide variety. The term is based on the French for "fern". I know at least that much. But it is also supposed to contain some other notes.

Is there a fairly common soap that is a fougere scent that I could relate to? I don't own anything soaps named "Fougere" and haven't smelled any.

danbuter and Keithmax like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

There are many different shades and nuances in what's generally called fougere...grassy, earthy, woody, spicy, floral, etc. Basically greenish or herbal is how I think of it. BRUT would be just one of many readily available examples. Vetiver, too. But I'm willing to be corrected on any of the above.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Fern. To my nose, an herbal, grassy scent with a hint of menthol.

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I got some Brut deodorant and both my wife and I though it smelled a lot like Irish Spring.

danbuter and PLAla like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The most familiar ''fougére" version to me is the MdC soap—which is very herbal, with hints of lavendar.
    I dont understand the description often used as "...smells fern-like" as I have no real clue or basis for what 'ferns' actually smell like.
    I have also tried fougére-scented bath soaps that smell nothing like the MdC fougére shave soap.

6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

There are a bunch of fougere scents out there. This is what Wikipedia has to say:

Fougère
    , pronounced: [fu.ʒɛʁ], is one of the main olfactive families of perfumes. The name comes from the French language word for "fern". Fougère perfumes are made with a blend of fragrances: top-notes are sweet, with the scent of lavender flowers; as the more volatile components evaporate, the scents of oakmoss, derived from a species of lichenand described as woody, sharp and slightly sweet, and coumarin, similar to the scent of new-mown hay, become noticeable. Aromatic fougère, a derivative of this class, contains additional notes of herbs, spice and/or wood.[2]

The name originated with Houbigant Parfum's Fougère Royale. This perfume, created by Houbigant owner Paul Parquet, was later added to the scent archives known as the Osmothèque, in Versailles, France.[1]Houbigant re-introduced this fragrance in 2010.[2]

Perfumes of this type are especially popular as fragrances for men.[1] Many modern fougère perfumes have various citrus, herbaceous, green, floral and animalic notes included. The most common additions to the basic fragrance blend include vetiver and geranium. Bergamot is often present to add sharpness to the lavender top-note.

Examples of men's fragrances which fall into the fougère class include Brut by Fabergé, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Azzaro Pour Homme, Boss by Hugo Boss, Prada for Men, Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein, Canoe for Men by Dana, Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme, Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche, Tabac for Men, Michael for Men by Michael Kors, Clubman Pinaud After Shave and Special Reserve, Polo Blue and Chaps by Ralph Lauren, and Kourosby Yves Saint Laurent.[1][2]

gorgo2, RyX, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  7. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

The Wikipedia list of examples is interesting. Although I love them all, Azzaro Pour Homme, Tabac and Kouros could not be any more different. Brut is a fougere, to my nose, in the readily accessible category. As noted above, MdC Fougere is the quintessential fougere, to my nose.

gorgo2 and PLAla like this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Houbigant, mdc, and penhaligons English fern are my quintessential fougeres.

pbrmhl, Keithmax and PLAla like this.
  9. PLAla

The answers I got from a simple internet query were wide-ranging, like the Wikipedia quote above. Fougere seems to be a wide, wide category. It looks to encapsulate both earthy and herbal scents all the way to cologne-types and even Clubman. That's a wide range, folks!

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I will add another to the list
    Rive Gauche YSL

Linuxguile, PLAla and pbrmhl like this.
  11. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

I've avoided the Penhaligon line so far, due largely to price and stubbornness. Some day I'll try it. I've also never tried Houbigant Fougere, due largely to its unobtainium status. However, when Will from B&M came to the Seattle Shave Con in October, he brought a sample bottle of the new Barrister's Reserve Fern, which is intended to mimic the Houbigant classic. I fell in love with it. It's supposed to come out this winter/spring.

PLAla likes this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

You can find the Houbigant Fougere online pretty easy, Luck Scent and First in Fragrance carries it. It is just Eur 125 at First in Frangrance and that includes 20% VAT. If you are outside of Europe the VAT is waived and will basically offset the shipping. That is where I bought my bottle. I do prefer it to Penhaligon and rank it up there with Rive Gauche. The bottle is very cool too.

PLAla likes this.
  13. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

It's funny you just looked up Fougere online yesterday. I did the same thing. I was interested in purchasing PAA Dirt and saw that it was no longer available and this scent falls into the same category.
    Steve

PLAla likes this.
  14. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Yeah.... What he said

PLAla likes this.
  15. Linuxguile

Isn't that what Fine American Blend is based off of ?

PLAla likes this.
  16. PLAla

I believe you're right. So, American Blend is a fougere?? That doesn't seem right at all!

Paul Turner and Linuxguile like this.
  17. Linuxguile

I thought American Blend was a barbershop scent? This is why I'm a scent ignorant lol

PLAla and Primotenore like this.
  18. Primotenore

Article Team
    Not to argue with someone else's nose, but I don't get any "cologne"-type scent from my MdC; especially Clubman.

Keithmax, PLAla and Bobcat like this.
  19. Primotenore

Article Team
    American Blend is a dupe of YSL Rive Gauche pour homme. Very cologne-ish scent IMO. The name is deceiving.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    PLAla and Bobcat like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

DIRT cologne?