Found a Merkur Slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Juno, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I picked this up yesterday. Its cleaning up pretty well.

Before:

IMG_2665.jpg IMG_2664.jpg

AGHisBBS, RyX, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  2. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

After:
    Anyone know what the 2 indicates in the last pic?
    20180603_110646-1.jpg 20180603_110720-1.jpg 20180603_111201-1.jpg 20180603_111358-1.jpg

brit, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  3. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

Here's 2 more. The head, I imagine, cannot be improved upon as it is not brass most likely.
    20180603_112747-1.jpg 20180603_112652-1.jpg

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice. Very cool razor. That was my first slant. I liked it but didn't use it much after I learned the Gillette slide.

Juno likes this.
  5. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I haven't tried that yet!
    It is on my list to learn though.

RyX likes this.
  6. gvw755

gvw755 New Member

Nothing to learn with the Merkur. For all slants in general, shave like you would a regular razor. The funny shaped head automatically does the Gillette slide for you. In the case of the Merkur, start with the shave angle the top cap gives you as it is close to the correct one. Just be prepared to be totally impressed with the comfort and efficiency of the shave.

Juno likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Or you will have the opposite reaction, like me. I found using a vintage hoffritz (rebadged Merkur) slant to be one the the most uncomfortable shaves I've ever had with a DE razor. One of these days I will revisit slants, but not anytime soon. :)

Edit: the head is made of zamak, so there is a point of diminishing returns on trying to clean it. It's lasted fifty years, it will last for a few (or fifty) more. The plating on the older zinc razors is uaually better/higher quality than that found on current razors.