Fountain Pen Collectors?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Brian_Powers, Jun 26, 2015.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Didn't want to start something new when we already had one going... NOTE: This thread is almost 6 years old. People who have posted may not be active here at TSD, so don't think they're being rude if you don't get a reply.

Okay, PSA done.

I splurged a bit for a new Conklin Crescent Fill.
    Along with the pen I ordered some Private Reserve ink in DC Supershow Blue, a nice deep, rich blue. They sent me Electric DC Blue which is more a blue/black. I'm going to return the Electric and they'll send me the Supershow. I the meantime, I have some Sheaffer's that I found at an antique shop. 1625229877532.jpg 1625229915884.jpg 1625229936136.jpg
    1625229968507.jpg

2. Glondus

Glondus Well-Known Member

this forum is getting interesting :) it was about just shaving hobby for me now this.

ok i love fountain pens and inks. my inventory is as follows:

TWSBI Diamond 580 B nib
    Faber Castell Ondoro M nib
    Pilot Metropolitan F nib
    Lamy All Star M nib
    A Parker that i dont know the model
    My first fountain pen that i bought with my first salary, Cross full metalic, again no idea about the model.

and my inks, my lovely inks
    Mont Blanc Irish Green
    Waterman Tender Purple
    Diamine Pumpkin
    Pelikan Turquoise
    Diamine Quartz Black
    Diamine Ox Blood
    Diamine Chocolate Brown
    Diamine Red Dragon
    O.S. Nitrogen
    J.Herbin Perle Noire (blackest of blacks, it is a black hole in writing :) )
    Noodlers Black (American Eel)
    Iroshizuku Yama-Budo (magenta i guess)
    Iroshizuku Asa-Gao (bright blue)

Avalon and IAmTheJody like this.
  3. swarden43

Gotta have pictures, man!! ;)

I have several Lamys. Probably the best bang-for-your-buck fountain pen out there.

I like the Noodlers and Pelikan inks. What are your thoughts about the Diamine?

4. Glondus

The picture for the whole inventory would not be good but you asked for it :)

Diamine is a decent ink to my opinion. I can buy them easily in a local shop, very good color selections. Pumpkin is one of my all time favorites, blacks are not black but grey mostly.
    Recently i noticed that an online shop in my country sells noodlers :) but i have to finish some inks otherwise my wife can hit me with some ink bottles:) 20210702_164643.jpg

5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

There were a few fountain pens in the 2021 Magical Mystery Traveling Box and I almost took them to see if it was another acquisition disorder I wanted to make room for. I've always been fascinated by fountain pens. I'm fascinated by most things vintage such as pocket and table cigarette lighters, razors, household items, etc. Then I figured other than when having to fill out bank deposit slips and writing down a case number for a customer support complaint I have made, I rarely use a pen at all, and when I do, it is always one of my trusty and most favorite but discontinued stainless steel Papermate Dynagrip ballpoint pens, which oddly now sell for $50+ on eBay. So I left them in the box for someone else.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I also like fountain pens and used them a lot in high school and college. But these days I hardly carry a pen with me and if I carried a fountain pen, it would hardly be used.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  7. swarden43

I don't carry one. The copy paper at work is like a sponge when using fountain pen ink. To sign a receipt for something that you bought with your credit card won't work - that thermal paper has a slick, waxy (?) coating that the ink just sits on; it won't dry.

I have decent paper at home. I use my fountain pens to write rough drafts of my Sunday Sermon notes and Friday Night Bible Study notes. Also for notes and cards I send out.

I enjoy using them. Much easier on the hand since they require very little pressure to use.

IAmTheJody and BamaT like this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Here is the latest of mine; the Monteverde Regatta with Mother-of Pearl inlay. Hubby gave me this as a birthday gift. It looks great but isn’t just for show. I love the way it writes.
    https://www.fahrneyspens.com/Item--i-251347

IAmTheJody likes this.
  9. swarden43

@Glondus Nice collection! Yeah, a black that looks gray wouldn't please me. I like deep, rich, color. I mostly use black. That was the required ink color in the Air Force; I've come to prefer it. I have a few blues, and a Private Reserve in Sherwood Green that I use on occasion. Not a fan of many other colors. But, who knows. Maybe I'll try some in the future.

Glondus likes this.
  10. swarden43

Sara-s likes this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

One thing I don't think we've mentioned here (unless I missed it); What size nibs do you like? I tend to like a medium nib.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

About the past year I've been using a slightly customized Bic 4 color, all black barrel/top with one highlighter cartridge...very handy...but when I reach for a fountain pen I have one of those chunky Sheaffer calligraphy pens with a medium nib. It writes just fine for normal use.

Sara-s likes this.
  13. swarden43

I was just talking to Becky about how much I was enjoying the new pen, but would have liked to try both a fine and medium nib before making the purchase. I go back and forth between fine and medium ballpoint pens, but usually going with the medium, so hard telling which I would have chosen for the Conklin.

BamaT likes this.
  14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I write with fountain pens whenever possible, and have a very modest collection. Usually only one or two of them are filled with ink at any given time. Posts in the off-topic section of a fountain pen forum were what led me to traditional shaving.

Mike Masuyama of Mike It Work (http://www.mikeitwork.com/) does excellent repair work. My mother gave me the Parker 51 she used for work in the 1950s. It had been put away in a drawer 60 years ago, and so needed the dried ink cleaned out and a new ink sac. Mike did that and also adjusted the nib. The pen looks great and writes fantastically well. Fine work by a bona fide pen repair expert!

BamaT, gorgo2, richgem and 1 other person like this.
  15. Glondus

i recommend fine or extra fine nib for low quality paper. it really works.

16. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Big fountain pen fan. In all this age of technology and lists or GTD apps, still love to write down grocery lists, weekly ‘get r done’ things.

Have a couple aluminum Lamys (blue & lime green) and a black Waterman Hemisphere (w/chrome).

I tend to like smooth writing medium nibs, or a fine that isn’t scratchy.

Inks…a few Noodlers (red, couple blacks, green), Waterman refills (came with the pen, don’t use), and a Pilot Iroshizuku Blue (a current favorite).

Hate all the various crud papers so prevalent now, post it notes….so recently bought some inexpensive journals that have tear out pages for the little bit of writing I still do.

Shaver X and Sara-s like this.
  17. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

I collect (as in acquire) fountain pens myself, but have little cause to use them much anymore. My Platinum desk pen at work is the only one I ever seem to use. The convenience of working at a computer and the prevalence of decidedly un-fp-friendly paper in the wild seem to preclude my using ANY fountain pen any more. Heavy sigh... There is great joy and satisfaction, though, in finding an Esty with an intact and functioning sack in the wild.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    b1hart likes this.
  18. Glondus

new addition to my ink collection :)
    IMG_20211123_110838.jpg

19. swarden43

Great! :happy088: Now we need a review and a couple of pics to show how well (or not) the ink behaves.

20. Glondus

yesterday i received my Lamy 2000 broad nib :) boy it is broad :)
    1st line is L2K B Nib inked with J Herbin Lierre Sauvage. Great wet ink, nice shading. Aweful combination with L2K as it is just too much ink :)
    2nd line is L2K B Nib inked with Pelikan Blue Black. Dry ink, awesome shading. Perfect combination
    3rd line is TWSBI 580 B Nib inked with OS Nitrogen. Very good color ink, aweful smear even after days, i hate this ink behaviour, but still use it because the color is amazing :)
    4th line is Pilot Metropolitan F Nib inked with Diamine Red Dragon. Wet ink, so used with Japanese F Nib. Added this to show the line difference between japanese fine and european broad :D
    IMG_20211125_095827.jpg