Fountain pen newbie questions

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Darkbulb, Mar 12, 2016.

1. kent1915

kent1915 New Member

Hi. Been lurking for while. Figured time to post since these are two of my hobbies. Wet shaving and fountain pens!

Been collecting and using fountain pens for a long time. To the OP I have had two issues with leaking. The first, I had a great Pelikan demonstrator that I used daily. Great pen. It got crushed in my bag after a refill so ink got all over and pen ruined. Not really a leak but... Second time I took my aurora epsilon on a flight and by the time I got to my hotel it had leaked. I suspect it was being in a pressurized can for a few hours that did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

OK, it's moved.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

Tornus Pens = Lathe Pens. I hand make pens of all types (just the body of the pen of course). Fountains are awesome. I used one every day while in class last semester. If you get a converter instead of the little plastic cartridges it is better. You get to use the ink that you want (brand and color). There are tons of options available out there. I havent used a converter yet, but they are inexpensive, the fountain I carry takes a short cartridge any way but I can get about 3 weeks or so using it for notes. As long as you dont leave them lay around for more than a few weeks maintenance isnt to bad. If you use it often it is better IMO.

Here is a picture of my best one to date, it is a Roller Ball as asked for. it is alligator jaw and blue acrylic.

Attached Files:

swarden43 likes this.
  4. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I would offer some even more basic questions:

1) What is its usefulness?
    Let's face it...in today's society, there just isn't much use for a pen. Personally, I use nice pens for writing personal notes, keeping score in family table games, and writing cards for others. I don't use them a lot, but I do use them some. If you are a banker or businessman, I could imagine the use, but if not...do you really NEED a nice pen?

2) What else could the money be used for?
    Would you rather spend it on sonething else such as a shave soap, a dinner out, or (depending on how much you want to drop on a pen), a weekend vacation?

3) Price?
    You can really drop some cash on these. I was literally at a friend's house yesterday and he was showing me his $450 cartier pen that was collecting dust. (He used to be an insurance salesman and used it frequently... until they went to electronic signatures, that is).

A nice $20-$30 parker ball point pen works for me. I kind of want a montblanc too, but do i really need a $100+ pen for writing cards? Is it really any better than my parker pens? Would I rather have the pen or a new straight razor?

CarlfromMO likes this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I've recently acquired my first fountain pen since the late 1990's. The Esterbrook LJ's caught my attention being made in the 1950's. The one'ts I got have the 2556 nibs, but couldn't be more different in writing. For daily use I chose a 2017 Special Edition Lamy Al-Star and am using a z24 converter. I will post some photos later. :)

wristwatchb and Sara-s like this.
  6. Chuck Naill

So, got this Esterbrook "transitional" model and let it soak a bit. Then I discovered the sac had completely fallen apart. This will be my first restoration. I have new sacs, shellac, and talc in route.

wristwatchb likes this.
  7. Chuck Naill

B3F79C69-D315-4E5E-AA36-62BD41C74BCA.jpeg F2EDA9A5-9A58-42A9-8245-39D835EA45CB.jpeg First Esterbrook restoration, a mid ‘40’s “transitional J”.

Writes beautifully.

wristwatchb, PLAla, Shaver X and 2 others like this.
  8. Chuck Naill

I've recently acquired a blue LJ Esterbrook pen with matching pencil, a collection of calligraphy type nibs and wooden holder, a black LJ with a 9000 series nib. I also have spare nibs in route. Having success on the first restoration has sort of gotten me hooked. I am just focusing on the vintage Esterbrooks.

Can anyone explain if there is a hole that allows the ink to flow through the back of the nib to the tip. The nib that I have was obviously bent and I think it is preventing the ink flow. This is why I am purchasing replacement nibs.

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yes, there should be a little hole in the nib.

Chuck Naill likes this.
  10. Chuck Naill

Replacement nib, a 9550 solved the pen problems and allowed it to fill using the bladder.

For Esterbrooks with a damaged of missing J bar for depressing the sac, a hypodermic needle and syringe can save the day. I bought four syringes and a pack of 16x1 needles yesterday at a farm supply. I grind down the tip so as not to puncture the sac. Works like a charm.

Sara-s likes this.
  11. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Not too long ago I sold my Esterbrooks.

[​IMG]

stream26 and Shaver X like this.
  12. Chuck Naill

That's a nice collection.
    Esterbrook.jpg

I found a black LJ era pencil with 9mm lead. I am trying to find a deluxe and aeromatic.

Shaver X likes this.
  13. Chuck Naill

The 1949 Deluxe SM came yesterday and I began tearing down and cleaning.
    942DBF48-DF5C-47F3-8B4F-29589750ECF5.jpeg

Shaver X likes this.
  14. Chuck Naill

15. Chuck Naill

Waterman ink arrived and smoother out the LAMY Al-Star

Shaver X likes this.
  16. Chuck Naill

I've been interested in the famous Parker 51, but found the price off putting. This is a Chinese copy, Wing Sung 601. It is made well and writes well.
    Wing Sung 601.jpg

Shaver X likes this.
  17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

That Wing Sung 601 is a nice pen! I have the 601A, which is the same thing, but with a Sheaffer Triumph nib. Great writers at a bargain price.

Chuck Naill likes this.
  18. Chuck Naill

Esterbrook Collection.jpg

My latest interest is vintage Esterbrook fountain pens from the '30's through the early '50's

From left to right, 1934 Dollar Pen, late '30's-early '40's transitional, large double jewel J, 1940's Deluxe, and a couple small LJ's with a mechanical LJ pencil.

I've restored each one using videos and replacement internal parts. This hobby costs a lot less than razors and you use them every day, all day long. Thought you might enjoy seeing.

Flintstone65 likes this.
  19. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Those are some beautiful razors I mean pens Chuck. Great job on the restorations.

Chuck Naill likes this.
  20. Chuck Naill

Thank you , Gary.

GAW9576 likes this.