Frameback straight razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by huckelberry hound, Sep 26, 2013.

1. huckelberry hound

huckelberry hound Active Member

I just purchased one, does any one have experience with them? if so what are your thoughts? I'm rather excited for it to get here.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Ask gssixgun.

3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I have a few. A Swede, a Japanese and a French frameback and enjoy them all. Personally, I've found them easy to sharpen, they hold a edge well and are nice shavers.

4. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

I have a Wostenholm 1xl frameback that needs a restore...So, I am curious as well.

5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I probably like full hollows the best. They have a different feel to them (framebacks), not necessarily better or worse, just different. If you get a good edge on them, I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy the experience.They fill in a transitional niche in straight razor development.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Wut??? I've never heard that before, got any links?

Granted, I know next to nothing about framebacks, but it was my understanding that they were a variation of the straight razor design, popular in France, and at the time of production, replacement blades were available for these razors, but regular straight razors were produced both before and after framebacks. Is this wrong?

Edit: This is an interesting read http://straightrazorplace.com/razors/67668-what-point-frameback-razors.html

7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    There are three types of "Framebacks"

True Frameback razor with a flat grind blade that was made separate from the frame then press fitted in, this allowed for a thin grind and cheaper easier production...

Changeable Blade Framebacks that came in a set with multiple flat ground separate blades that could be changed out as they became dull or day by day

Faux-frameback sometimes also called a Rattler razor although that name is not really accurate :( these are a one piece razor that was ground lengthwise rather then spine to edge, these are the ones that people tend to call a transitional grind to the Hollow grinds, but Hollow grinding from spine to edge was around since the earliest stub tail razors only the degree of that grinding changed over the years..

That is the info that I have gathered over some time, hope it helps

Billyfergie and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Thx Glen...Maybe I can get a picture up in the next day or so and you can help identify my Wolstenholm 1xl. I'm guessing its the first kind...

gssixgun likes this.
  9. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

I've seen the Swiss iteration of the replaceable blade frameback that uses the small jeweler's screwdriver to remove the set screw from the "horn" on the blade. I passed because it was just the one razor with no blades or tools besides. I've never tried a true frameback, actually. I'm guessing the lightness and thinness has some major positives and negatives. Probably not a design for an inexperienced user as the lightness may get someone in trouble the same way an overly light shavette can. I do know you have to be careful when honing them if the frame is made of soft material or you can get a lot of wear quickly.

10. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

I have a few framebacks: a 134 Fontenille (French, from Thiers-Issard); a Wostenholm IXL; and a Joseph Elliot Patent frameback. Out of those, the 134 Fontenille is my favorite (right now). It holds a great edge and slices right through my hair with no fuss and I like the weight and balance. I think the Joseph Elliot is the coolest looking of the lot; I believe it's a wedge, with a frame on the top. Actually, the Wostenholm is built the same way. Here are a couple of pics of the Wosty and a partial pic of the Elliot.

2013-08-18 01.16.10.jpg 2013-08-20 19.09.42.jpg 2013-09-15 19.57.15.jpg

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. Dusan

Dusan Active Member

I don't have any, but really like the looks of framebacks and 1700's straights.

12. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

I really want a Lecoultre frameback, but I want the special chambered box, all the blades, and the tiny screwdriver.

[​IMG]

Dusan likes this.
  13. huckelberry hound

huckelberry hound Active Member

that is really cool! I would love to find me a set like that! WOW