Frank Shaving Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by wuluf, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

All I really have to go by is my emails from them all come as from "Frank Shaving Sales".

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    You know... the Chinese seem to have a culturally different take on copyright, trademark, intellectual property and such. The law is the law, but some people obey only the enforceable ones. I at first thought that maybe those non-Ian FS sellers were going all Big Lots on his rejects and closeouts. Now I am beginning to wonder...:scared011:

GDCarrington and Doryferon like this.
  3. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Too much "defective" brushes i see lately from distributors of FS.

4. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Come on guys, positive vibrations man, positive......my epacket's in New York.

JRod22 likes this.
  5. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

My brush is still awesome! Granted its hasn't been even a week yet. But I'm hopeful, hasn't been shedding at all. Extremely happy with it.

6. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I'm getting pssd waiting for that Frank brush to arrive. I need to see it before I know what to order next. I am in chick-movie love with that type of Chubby/ Stubby handle and if it's good I'm getting a Tubby 1 and a Rooney #1 in medium next, if I don't like it I'm getting I'm getting one of those in the 26mm size, ......or both, I got it man!, I got it bad man! ........ i'm shakin' like a leaf...

7. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Haha. Yeah you'll figure out what you like. It's a YMMV kind of thing. Everyone has different preferences.

8. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Well boys, it's here. And I believe it's the real deal. I'll get my boys to help me with pictures when they get home but it came in a really good quality heavy weight paper/cardboard box, black with a Frank Shaving logo and under that it says "Frank Shaving" and under that "Quality Shaving Products" it's got a paper with care instructions inside as well .The brush itself is beautiful.Dense 26mm silvertip knot with a black "Chubby" like handle. 56 bucks total and it's already gone up at their site to 70 something, which still would be a steal. Eyes open for pics later. oh yeah, a stand too.

9. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

My Frank is a great brush, great brush. And everything checks out, it's legit, I believe. But something just didn't seem right. It was sold to me as a 26mm chubbylike brush, and I'm inexperienced with brushes compared to everyone here but it seemed more massive than that. Now I don't have calipers so I did the next best thing, I got some string wrapped it around the base of the knot and marked it. Then I measure that, divide by pi and I get the diameter. I did it twice, once wrapped loosely around and one cinched up. I get it's either 28mm or 30mm. Either way is fine by me.

maltedmilk likes this.
  10. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Depending on how deep the loft is set and how big the hole is in the handle it could seem wider then it is. But you may be right. I'm glad your liking yours, mines been great too.

11. Doryferon

Has anyone in the past problem with a FS brush in bowl lathering with soaps ?
    I Have 2 FS (pure-finest) that they didn't like too much the soaps in bowl lathering
    With creams works fine like other brushes.

[​IMG]

One example
    This happened with 3 soaps in bowl lather.

12. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Haven't gotten around to trying it yet, we'll see.

13. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Are there any more news regarding the quality of these brushes?

I haven't tried my own chubby version that much. Its a bit too chubby and has too much backbone for my taste.
    The knot also broke free from the handle at some point. But that I suspect was due to a pair of investigating hands in size xxs or smaller. They might have dropped it a few times. But using a pack of Sugru fixed that problem. :)

Anyway, I am considering the Richmond 28mm silvertip, but wants to make sure that I purchase the real deal.

14. newb

newb Resident Newb

My Richmond 28mm is an awesome brush. Good backbone and super soft with a big overstuffed knot. I bought mine from Ian, when they first came out a couple of years ago. The question about QC for Frank's is disheartening. Personally, I would only buy from Ian but that may be no guarantee from the posts listed. I can honestly saw, "I've never had a BAD Frank's brush" BUT I HAVEN"T BOUGHT ONE IN A COUPLE OF YEARS.

Norseman likes this.
  15. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I have to admit I spook to soon regarding my own 26mm Frank Shaving brush. I must have thought about a brush from Lijun Shaving when making my comments about my FS brush. Yet it is a chubby brush, but it is very soft and comfortable. A bit of a lather hog, but I am not sure if this will be much of a problem.
    I have tried it a few times the last couple of days, and it us an excellent brush. I still have not decided if I am going for the 28mm brush. Especially since I have purchased a 29mm silvetip knot.
    I am not too sure what I am going to with this knot. I have no handle for it, and I am too much of a butterfinger to make my own. I'll guess I'll think of something :)

Are your brush retaining hogging/retaining most of the lather within the bristles?

16. Courierdog

Courierdog New Member

I purchased a brush from The Frank Grooming Industrial Limited on Oct 15, 2014, Silvertip badger, knot size 26mm, loft is 52mm.
    It has not lost one hair since I began using it, I cannot say the same of some of my name brand brushes.
    Finding a brush which works well with my dry sensitive skin is not an easy challenge, Frank was extremely helpful and the shipped brush arrived and has been in daily use ever since.

maltedmilk likes this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks for reminding me that I need to look into getting a Lijun brush. Those cheap, little things have an almost cult-like following. And I want a membership card.

18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

$_3.jpeg y'all see this brush, WOW

VedderLG, ObiDon and maltedmilk like this.
  19. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

I'm going to order some handles from their site, some beauties on it.

20. Doryferon

@Gordy
    I have bought some handles from there
    Keep in mint to mention them clearly the base knot
    Many times they send you a wrong dimension for example you ask a 24mm and they send you a 22mm because they haven't in stock what you want.
    Tell them in that case to send you email otherwise you have some work to do with your tools.