Frank Warner Custom Straight Razor

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by xChris, Jul 27, 2008.

1. xChris

xChris Member

I took receipt of my second custom straight razor. For this one, I commissioned Frank Warner's talents. I was fortunate to get my order in when I did, as he's got several he's working on right now (mine was one of six -- first one completed). As you can see it came in a wooden box along with a certificate of authenticy and a personal note. Here's some specifications for it:

• 5160 spring steel
    • Anodized Titanium scales with jewelled interior
    • Italian Paela wood overlays
    • fileworked spine, shank, & tang
    • Bullnose (half round), full hollow grind

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I asked Frank to make an 8/8 size razor, as I prefer larger blades (lip loppers, meat choppers, etc.) He wrote back, "I can make you an 8/8 if you really want one. I just scale everything up a tad for that." Well let me state that this razor is really a large piece! Here are some of the dimensions:

• length (closed) = 7 3/16"
    • length (open) = 11 3/16"
    • blade (length) = 6 3/4"
    • blade (edge) = 4 1/16"
    • blade (width) = 8/8
    • weight = 4.25 oz

** This is the largest razor, according to Frank, that he has made so far. It was so large that he couldn't use the usual zippered pouch he includes with his razors. Instead he customized a wooden box with a fitted, velvet-lined interior for shipment and presentation! **

[​IMG]

Below are some comparison photos to convey the size. The razors pictured below are no less than 6/8 in width (cream/white scales) along with a Wacker 7/8. The razors at the top are a Filarmonica 15/16 and a Henckels Friodur 8/8!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a shave with it already, and it easily met my expectations! Frank has a his own method for honing and polishing his razor's edges. As you can see in the photos, the bevel is quite polished. This made for a very forgiving edge that cut very close without nicks or irritation. His grind, while being a full hollow style, is quite strong; it felt more like a quarter hollow razor with no flexing or "singing" at the edge. I think it is a gorgeous grind too. Note that he also has a taper to the scales -- they're not parallel all the way down. The balance is different with the metal scales, but I was able to adapt to it in the first shave. The shank design allowed me to adjust my grip to accomodate different strokes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final thing I want to mention is Frank's customer service. Frank was always friendly in e-mail correspondence with me. There was great conversation back and forth throughout the time the razor was being made. I liked the fact that I could be involved with the process -- customizing options (e.g., overlays, filework, finishes), asking questions about his maunfacturing methods, general shaving. Frank was also great in asssiting me after I made a poor choice in anodzing color (not what you see here); he worked with me and my inexperience in anodizing to achieve a complimentary hue for the Paela overlays.

I will enjoy having this razor in my collection!

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

This is one of the nicest custom straights I've seen so far, and looks to be the best constructed! That will last you forever!

3. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Wow!

I have a Wacker exactly like yours, and I think that is huge! That would mean your custom is monstrous!

It certainly looks the deal though! Congratulations to a magnificent piece!

Let us know how it shaves!

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

whoa boy, I'm speechless.... :drool :drool :drool

I've gotta go change my pants...

5. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    That's one beautiful razor!

6. xChris

xChris Member

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Yep, it's a monster -- I love it! :D The first shave was pretty good. The edge really was easy on my face without having to ease up on my strokes.

7. SuperSpeed

SuperSpeed New Member

Chris,

THAT is simply GORGEOUS!!! Best of luck with the razor and please let us know of your shaving experiences. :D

Could someone clue me in on what "CA" refers to? I am guessing it's a reference to a protective coating (Clear Acetate?), since I see it in the paperwork for this razor and recall having seen reference to it in a discussion thread on Renaissance Wax. How is it applied and where can it be purchased? Comments about its use?

Many thanks,
    --Morrie

8. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

CA is Cyano Acrylate, commonly known as Superglue. You apply it with a finger using rubber/latex gloves (I use the cut off fingers of latex gloves, makes one glove last for 5 coatings). every 5-6 coatings you sand the surface and buff it. After 10-15 coatings you have a hard, clear and water resistant surface.

An alternative coating is Epoxy, that usually only needs one coating. Some prefer CA others Epoxy, it boils down to what the maker prefer!

Some woods are just oiled or waxed.

9. SuperSpeed

SuperSpeed New Member

Thank you, Johan!

Johan,

Thanks for the info! ;)

I saw reference to that in Wiki, but was somewhat in disbelief that it would be appropriate to use "Super Glue/Crazy Glue" as a protective coating, since it can be nasty stuff and only dissolves with acetone (nail polish remover--a very corrosive substance itself :eek:).

Seems like too much to go wrong if an accident occurs vs. using an alternative protective coating, but I just may have to test it out for myself!

Thanks again,
    --Morrie

10. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

After my first encounter with CA coating I bought a protective mask! I felt nausious after 3 coatings, so if you have the possibility I would recommend using a mask and goggles!

11. SuperSpeed

SuperSpeed New Member

Why, yes indeed! A mask...yet another reason to give myself a good, close SHAVE! :happy102

Thank you for your suggestions, Johan!

--Morrie

12. Padron

Padron Active Member

Great looking razor there Chris :happy005 Congrats!!

Looks like it would shave through the toughest of beards with ease ;)

13. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I will probably experiment with CA at some point, but now am having very good luck with Conservator's Wax.

Oh, yeah, NICE RAZOR, CHRIS! :D

14. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Fantastic Chris!