FrankenRazor Question?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by 178-bplatoon, Dec 18, 2013.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Does anyone here know for a fact either yes or no if the top cap for a Gillette tech will work with the base plate (preferably the OC)of an iKon? I'd like to try an iKon OC but I don't want to spend the extra $40 for a top cap when I have so many Techs laying around.....Thanks for any help....:)

2. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

I would think that with the IKON system the top cap is just as important as the base plate. The top cap really sets the blade angle and IKON probably has it calibrated to their specs. At least that's what I would think, if others have experience chime in.

3. 178-bplatoon

I agree, but what I'm wondering is if the tabs in the Tech cap will line up and fit into the slots on the iKon base? If the angle is slightly different from stock I can adapt to that, but if the two pieces( tech head tabs & iKon base slots) absolutely will not fit together that would make the idea unworkable and the price(both iKon pieces) higher than I'm willing to pay at this time, just to satisfy my curiousity...:)

4. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

It seems to me you are wanting to interchange parts from a Volkswagen Beattle with a Mercedes. Why oh why would you want to do that? I suggest you save your money until you can afford to buy an iKon. In the big picture you will find it to be worthwhile and you will be more happy.

5. 178-bplatoon

I think your probably correct as far as parts compatability and the best thing to do will be wait until I can afford a complete iKon Slant shave head or for the same money just get a Merkur Slant or just not get a Slant at all since it would be more of a curiousity purchase than any kind of necessity....I honestly doubt a Slant will shave me better than my Weber DLC...:shaver

I'd have to disagree with you about the Volkswagon/ Mercedes comparison, if your making a comparison of quality between Gillette and iKon. The Gillette Tech has all the proven durability of the VW and the quality/class of the Mercedes..While the iKon's long term durability has yet to be tested and I.M.O. it has no more quality/craftsmanship than the Weber which costs half as much as the iKon....:)

6. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

If a Gillette Tech has the quality and the class of a Mercedes, I wonder what a Gillette Aristocrat would compare to in the automotive world? :)

2grubswrestle1 likes this.