Frederick Fenney 'Tally Ho' 8/8

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by HolyRollah, Dec 13, 2015.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've fallen considerably behind in my razor restore production schedule, but am hoping to find some time in the coming weeks both pre and post-Christmas to make a dent in the backlog.

I had prepped about 10 blades a month ago or so and most have remained as shown here —
    cleaned-up but without any scales...
    [​IMG]

The blade at top left is an 8/8 hollow-tipped Sheffield 'Tally Ho' blade from F. Fenney.
    For this one, I chose some scales made of golden translucent horn.
    I had some time yesterday for some sanding and polishing of this set of scales. Hand-sanding starting at 300 grit up to 1500; then micro-mesh up to 8k.
    For this razor, the wedge will be of amber and the hardware all brass.

Making progress.... more to come!
    [​IMG]

2. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Beautiful razor. Can't wait to see it finished.

Karl G and Kizurra like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

WOW!

Kizurra likes this.
  4. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

keep us posted on your progress. that is a great looking straight.

5. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

That old Sheffield blade will be perfectly suited to those scales great looking blade that's going to look superb once finished, what washer set up are you thinking of Kevin?

Kizurra likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Jamie, with these large Sheffields, I'm partial to double or triple-stacked domed brass. At least that's where I'm currently leaning. ;)
    SafariScreenSnapz029.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  7. Jamie Mahoney

Very nice Kevin I think you are going in the right direction.

8. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Very nice, I've yet to find a really nice tally. Love that wosty right under it too, looks like a good shaver with some good weight.
    I have a wade I keep putting off since I can't decide on the scales. I have wenge, cocobola, Nicaraguan rose, bloodwood, yellowheart, purpleheart, black walnut and a few others I can't name by memory. Some bone too but don't enjoy the smell of working with it, do need some more horn soon. Where did you find the amber?

Karl G likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Vendor on ebay. "Whole_Earth_Supply" who occasionally carries amber blanks. Pretty reasonable.

10. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Kevin...we need to talk...

Karl G likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Had some time today this rainy morning to get this big Tally nearly finished up.
    Shaped the brass-lined amber wedge and prepped for final assembly. 'Pardon the dust' shop photos…..:D Next stop: off the the hones….
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Jamie Mahoney

That old Sheffield razor looks absolutely splendid Richard lovely sympthetic work.

Kizurra likes this.
  13. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

HOLY BUCKETS KEVIN! You slayed it! Well, well done!

Karl G, Kizurra and 45auto like this.
  14. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Made me check eBay and then my bank account. No big English steel for me.

15. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

That's seriously impressive work Kevin. Another beauty...

:happy096:

Karl G, Kizurra and 45auto like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The ebay market price for the big-bladed (7/8"+) Sheffield razors has certainly skyrocketed and there doesn't seem to be an end.
    Finite supply, growing demand = $$$
    The trick is to find 'em for a song elsewhere, perhaps in less than ideal condition & then purdy 'em up… :D

17. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Very sweet!

18. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Wowza Wowza! another stunning shaver:happy096:

Karl G, Kizurra and Robyflexx like this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Honing Regimen and results for this razor:
    • Bevel-set: raised a slurry using a DMT on the Chosera Pro 1k. Three series of laps (using a loupe to check evenness and lightly touch for keenness of bevel edge), thinning the slurry with water each series. One of easiest edges to set I've come across. Love this Sheffield steel. AHT: arm hairs popping off at the base all across the edge. Time to move on...
    • Progressed up the Grit scale: Sharpening continues with Naniwa Super Stones 3k > 5k. Same raising of slurry; diluting as I progress through the laps. Edge feeling very sticky. AHT: Slicing through hairs halfway up. On to the polishing….
    • Series of three final Naniwa Super stones: 8k > 10k > 12k. Used the DMT to level stones; very little slurry. A series of laps on each stone, blade-weight only. Dilute to just water.
    • Natural Finisher: I used the Apache strata natural. Thin slurry raised with the DMT; progression of very light strokes, gradually thinning until only water. AHT: 'tree-topping' arm hairs; HHT: not a test I regularly do (tough to get consistent results); hair caught and cut easily across the entire edge.
    • Strop: 50 laps on linen/1oo laps on leather; HHT: hair pops off across the blade.

The Shave: First off, this is a LARGE razor. Full-hollow, so it resonates rather loudly throughout the shave. No resistance, no pull—just ever-so-smooth passes. A standard 3-pass shave with near-BBS results.
    This is perhaps one of the smoothest-feeling razors I've had the pleasure of using. :happy088: Just a real NICE straight razor shaving experience. It is shaves such as this that make me glad I decided to take the SR plunge!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Beautiful razor. Thanks for explaining your honing process.

Kizurra and HolyRollah like this.