FREE CREAM - The Shave Cream Challenge

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Vlasta, May 24, 2017.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Guys & Gals,

something I have been thinking about for a while. Since I moved to the dark side I have accumulated quite a collection of creams from the top of the line to the cheapest I can find. Lots of variety in there - Egyptian, Russian, Turkish, Italian, English etc. etc.

So here is what I was thinking of doing - a little challenge....

I take 12 or so of my creams and package them up into small pots - not quite a sample but enough for say 2-3 shaves. I label them 1-12 or A to L or whatever and then send them to some lucky recipients. The recipient takes a shave or two with each cream and then scores the cream and fills in either a short survey online (if I can work out how) or spreadsheet that I will send them scoring the cream on the usual parameters like slickness, cushion, fragrance, longevity etc. etc. They also get to take a guess at the name... Once I have all the results collated I will reveal the name of each cream and it's score. Let's see who really knows their onions AND which cream comes out on top.

Now - is anyone interested in this challenge?

The first 12 to answer get a go at it. Once I have enough interest I will get to the mechanics of it all - setting up the survey (suggestions on parameters for the scoring welcome...), getting the containers, packaging it all up etc. etc. - not gonna be quick I know but sure should be fun.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    MR41, Paul76, macaronus and 8 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Cool idea. I have limited experience with creams (TOBS and Captain's) so I don't think I can give you a quality review, but look forward to seeing the results from others.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Spyder likes this.
  3. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Got any suggestions for parameters? Slickness, Cushion, Fragrance, Longevity of Fragrance, Ease of Lathering, Creaminess - what else?

Spyder likes this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

For both creams and soaps, I use three primary parameters when evaluating a product. Most important is slickness. If it isn't slick, I am likely to be nicked. Second is ease of lathering. A decent soap or cream might take a bit to dial in, but it shouldn't be magic. If it is inconsistent or tricky to get a good lather, it isn't worth a getting it again. Third is post shave feel. I am not into skin products, hair products, or much of anything else, but I have found that I like the moisturizing effect of a good soap or cream. If all else is equal, this will be my deciding factor between two shave products. Scent would be a fourth parameter, but it is so subjective. I love a strong scent that lingers, others are happy if they can barely smell it in the tub. Therefore I don't use it as an evaluation of a product but as a personal preference. Cushion, to me, doesn't really matter. A thin, slick soap will provide just as great of a shave as a thick, slick soap or cream, at least in my opinion. However, I am always open to learning why someone might find it more important.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

crackstar, Grimpen, RyX and 3 others like this.
  5. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks - I had not though of Post Shave Feel ie Moisturizing/Drying - thanks. This will go into the survey

RyX, Spyder and lightcs1776 like this.
  6. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    No one interested in free cream?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crackstar and Spyder like this.
  7. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I would like to take you up on that. I have tried 25 to 30 of the more common ones but am always open to discovering new treasures. Provided you don’t mind dealing with someone in Canada that is.

As far as parameters, I think Chris @lightcs1776 covered the most important ones in his second post.

RyX, Spyder and lightcs1776 like this.
  8. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Canada is fine.

9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I'll jump in. This sounds like a great chance to try some stuff that I wouldn't normally buy.

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

This sounds like a fun project;). Also since joining the dark side, creams are becoming a more popular choice for my shaves. I'd like to jump in on this, I might just find a new favorite:)

crackstar, RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Ask the guys over at the dark side. I'm pretty sure there'll be some interest.

crackstar and lightcs1776 like this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Sure, glad to try something new.

crackstar, Spyder and lightcs1776 like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I would love to participate but I am non-conus.

But you are in HK, so if possible I would like to participate.

crackstar and RyX like this.
  14. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I am non-Conus too. I live in Hong Kong. Seriously it is open to everyone regardless of country.

mrchick, crackstar and lightcs1776 like this.
  15. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    which forum do you suggest I post in? Need 9 more to make it worthwhile.

crackstar likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Great way to give to TSD Community @Vlasta! Interesting way to make it fun as well. If you don't get enough Players, put me in at the end of enrollment.
    I would think Jeff @crackstar could play this game for a win...

Spyder, jimjo1031 and crackstar like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

You seem to be gathering a group quite well here. Considering the topic this is a good place.

Spyder likes this.
  18. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

lolllll No, my contest days are over!

FatherofSquirrel, Jim99 and RyX like this.
  19. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I'm in. Sounds fun.

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

After I posted I saw your "Gave away 100 tubes of cream" thread.
    Both you and @Vlasta are quite the generous Gentlemen!

Drygulch, BamaT, Spyder and 1 other person like this.