Free photo editor?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by PLAla, Jan 6, 2017.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm looking for a free photo editor for download to my PC. I've used Picasa the past few years, but it is now discontinued. It was a Google product. They now use Google photos.

I'm open to pretty much any ideas. The only caveat is that is has to be free!

What do you guys recommend?? Thanks for reading.

brit and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

On my PC I use a browser based editor called Fotor and on my Android phone I use an editor called Handy Photo which you can get for free on amazon underground

wristwatchb and PLAla like this.
  3. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Photoscape

PLAla likes this.
  4. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Have you tried Google Photos? It should do just about any basic editing.

PLAla likes this.
  5. PLAla

Haven't tried it. I'd like a little more editing options than Picasa offered. I also would like a better way to organize my photos, but that's not related to the software.

6. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

If you need a powerful free image editor, Gimp is hard to beat. It is similar to Photoshop, which means it also takes time to learn the advanced features. It was developed for Linux, but is now available for Windows and Mac OS X. You can check it out at www.gimp.org.

Sent via mobile - Chris

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Stick in the mud, here. I started using Paint Shop Pro in the '90's. They kept making it better. I stopped updating. Now a 15 year old piece of software but I can make it do what I want.
    editor.gif

brit and PLAla like this.
  8. Marc D

Marc D Well-Known Member

If you have a Cannon Camera, You can use Digital Photo Professional 4. Not as good as Lightroom or Photoshop but gets the job done :)

brit, simms623 and PLAla like this.
  9. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

+1 for Gimp. If I weren't using Photoshop that's what I'd be using. Better than most programs that you buy (IMO).

Sent from my Galaxy Phone using Tapatalk

10. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I'm using Gimp when pixel-editing. For raw-conversion I use Darktable. Two very very powerful programs and they're all free.

simms623, lightcs1776 and PLAla like this.
  11. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

Prisma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLAla likes this.
  12. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I'll have to look into Darktable. My laptop died a couple weeks ago and I haven't replaced it yet, so I will have to wait a while. First thing I do when I get a new one is re-partition the drives, install Linux, then install Gimp (as well as a few other applications).

Sent via mobile - Chris

tuxxdk and PLAla like this.
  13. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

I have photoshop, paint shop pro, and a bunch of others. Free though, you can't beat Gimp.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    PLAla and simms623 like this.
  14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Darktable is IMHO _the_ raw-converter to get on Linux. It's constantly improved on and with the recent 2.2.x release it's more powerful than ever with lots of great modules (plugins).

Good luck with the new laptop when it arrives! :)

PLAla and lightcs1776 like this.
  15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

PLAla likes this.
  16. PLAla

Thread revival!

Any new ideas for a free photo editor for PC not mentioned here?

RyX and brit like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sorry, I've been using Google Photo for the past two years. I have the app on my phone and also have it on my computer so I don't need to transfer my photos. when I' done editing them I transfer them to my computer downloads and easily upload them here or nearly anywhere. :)

RyX and PLAla like this.
  18. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

PLAla likes this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Although I also use Gimp, it's a really good one, Irfanview is another one and easy to use.

brit and PLAla like this.
  20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

PLAla likes this.