French Coffee Presses

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Gillette_Man, Nov 27, 2008.

1. bishop

bishop New Member

Bought a Bodum FP, then another (larger) Bodum FP, and have ditched my drip machine entirely. It takes a little longer in the mornings to do but the results are worth every extra minute.

I'm considering French Presses as gifts for a few friends this Christmas.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, bishop!

3. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

I have both an Aeropress and a French press. Both produce great results, but each is slightly different.

I don't have problems with heat retention in my French press, the coffee gets poured out the instant it's done brewing.

4. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Welcome, Bishop!

5. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

6. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I like my Italian Moka coffee maker:

[​IMG]

7. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

That's a beauty Johan :drool

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I've had a couple of Bodum French Presses. Unfortunately, both carafes were accidentally broken while being cleaned. Otherwise, once the coffee was done, I would put it straight away into an insulated thermal carafe for drinking at leisure. Loved them when I had them. Since I'm the only one that drinks coffee at home, I stick to the AeroPress. (Better then French Press IMO) If we have company then I go to the Cuisinart DCC-1200 Coffee Maker. I used to have a 100 cup coffee maker when I was catering horse shows.

9. MJL

MJL New Member

Ok, forgive me for being skeptical, but can the company who makes the aerobie flying disc actually make a better coffee brewing method than a french press?

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

yes. I got a french press and an aeropress this week, the aeropress has made the best coffee I have had to date. Smooth and rich.

11. I've used a french press for a few years now. they are (as somone above said) the best coffee related invention ever. I've currently got two glass presses at the moment, (i've broken two as well :ashamed001) but when i break both of them (and i will) i'm going to keep frielings in mind.

i doubt i'd ever spring for a cold brew kit. i have a pitcher i use to make a concentrate when the mood for iced coffee strikes. I'm sure a kit would turn out more consistent results, but experimentation and trial and error are both part of the fun.

12. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Whats with everybody breaking the french presses? They're all made of pyrex or something similer. Its pretty strong stuff. I'm not very gentle and I havent broken mine yet despite a few years of use.

13. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

It's pretty thin glass. I tossed my last glass one prior to getting the Frieling because I noticed stress fractures in the bottom of the carafe that were most likely caused by the pressure created when pushing the plunger down. I have seen what happens when the bottom of a French press gets blown out, and it ain't pretty.

14. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hahahaha, yes they do :cool: They make great frisbees too ;)

15. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Toddy Makers are the bomb! :happy088

16. The Chebb

The Chebb New Member

Might just have to get one of them thar Aero Presses thangs 'cause I loves me some coffee...:eatdrink013

17. MattW

MattW New Member

No, not really. Being a total coffee nut I have done side by side blind testings with a couple of coffee nut friends of mine with various different brewing methods (pour over, FP, Aeropress, Vacuum, Balance, and even tried it with an Americano - we did not use the "cupping" method, since we couldn't figure out a way to do that blind). All in all, they can all make a good cup of coffee (but the Vacuum and Balance brewers are more difficult to make a decent cup with), but they all make a different cup of coffee.

For lighter-medium roasts I really prefer a FP or pourover, it brings out more of the nuances of flavor that lighter roasts provide. With a darker roast, I am less picky since there is more of the 'roast' flavor and less of the individual characteristics of the coffee. An Aeropress works great for darker roasts.

Of course, on a daily basis I use a Technivorm with a swissgold filter in it and it does a great job.

Also, it should be noted that an Aeropress doesn't make "coffee" per-se but a kind of coffee-espresso hybrid (since there is pressure being applied).

18. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

If you're blowing out the bottoms of your french press you're grinding your coffee too fine.

19. i'm just a clutz :o

20. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

What I've found adds most to my FP is the use of scales and a calculator.

Optimal coffee to water ratios are from 55g/litre to 85g/litre. So what you do is that you calculate the amount of water you press can take (a one litre generally maxes out at 900ml of water with coffee added). Then you calculate the amount of coffee you need based on that (55g divided by 0,9 in my one litre press example). Then you weigh out the amount of beans you need, grind it coarse (think small gravel, 1-2 mm in diameter). and add it to the press. Then you put the press on the scales, tare it, and start to pour in water. Due to the specific weight to volume ratio of water, your scales are now displaying how much water you've poured into the press in ml. :)

When you reach the amount you used for your calculations, stop and let sit for 3-4 mins, stir, insert filter, press down.

This yields the best cuppa, with no differences from press to press if you don't change the press, the coffe or the coffee to water ratio. If you start going below half capacity of the press, then you might experience some changes as well. :)

Also, pour some boiling water in and out of the press to preheat it before using it, and remember to let the water sit for about a minute after the kettle stops boiling to allow it to cool to below 95 C. :)