French Coffee Presses

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Gillette_Man, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I have one identical to this. It's my everyday coffee maker and does a fantastic job. I save the French press for weekends.

2. Fenix

Fenix New Member

I received my Bodum FP today. Its yummy liquid goodness. Thanks for helping me find something else to spend my money on! My wife appreciates it as always.

3. J-dawg

J-dawg New Member

Interesting

4. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Stuggi - you da man! It is this kind of precision that makes a great cup of joe! I have been weighing previously but have been getting a little sloppy of late. I shall get back on that train. I recall using about 65 gms of medium for a 1 litre bodum and am probably pretty close to that.

I notice you suggest 3-4 minutes of brew time. I have always wondered about that and currently use 5. I was using 4 before and I am not sure why I have gone to 5. How do you come up with this time measure? Then there is the stir don't stir, rotate the pot don't rotate, when to stir, how long to let the bloom sit, etc etc. thoughts?

YUMMMMM coffee in a press!!!

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I go the manual method. 1 heaping table spoon per cup. All those measurements mean nothing if you're not using fresh beans. As for "fresh beans", I had a long discussion with another coffeegeek last night about the COE beans that Target bought and put on their shelves. After the auction it took over 3 months for the bags to actually reach the shelves. Its said they were roasted rather quickly after being bought and it took some extra time to package and distribute. So by the time those beans made it to the shelves they'd been roasted for 2-3 months. They'd lost about 80% of their flavor. Even at that, they were still better than whatever other large company roasted beans were there. Beans should have roasted dates on them, not expiration dates. They expire about 2 weeks after roasting.

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Like beer "born on dates", eh?

7. JayKay

Something like that. Although the beer has a much longer shelf life. Once coffee is roasted it generally takes 24-72 hours to degas and let off CO2. Some longer, some shorter. Say it takes 72 hours, the coffee would be considered at its peak usually a few days after its done degassing till about day 7, where it than slowly declines. It is considered useable for another 7 days. Purists usually wouldnt even look in the direction of something more than 14 days post roast as they consider it to be stale like old bread. Thats why I roast my own now. And I make it exactly how I want it.

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I thought air was a roasted coffee bean's worst enemy, which was why they came up with that one-way valve on the coffee bags. So, if the coffee is bagged immediately after roasting, and all of the gas is released through the valve, isn't it in an oxygen-free environment? So what starts the degradation prior to the bag being opened?

9. JayKay

It will never be 100% air free after all the co2 is released. Unless you vacuum seal it every time after using a tiny bit, air will get to it (either way, it will still go bad). Each time you open the bag some air will get in. It will lead to the degradation of the bean. 02 is the enemy. One way valved bags are great. Its the same reason all food goes bad even if you seal it in a bag. Some air will always get to it.

10. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I was spoiled for a few years being able to buy my coffee from a very good source. I would pick it up the same afternoon it was roasted and then wait a couple of days (to pass the 3 day mark) and then brew it up. Damn fine!!!!!

Nowadays I am not so near a roaster and I am getting stale coffee beans which is no fun. Once you get used to fresh coffee beans it is very much like the stale bread thing.

JayKay - this idea of roasting yourself has me very intrigued. I guess two questions come to mind. The green beans - how long do they last or keep? And just how the heck you roastin yer own anyway? I used to brown some in a frypan with turmeric and make thick yummy joe from a recipe I learned when I was in Egypt. But, I have no idea how to roast a proper bean for making some medium roast java. Do tell!

11. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

i think green beans have a looong shelf life.

here are some home roasters expensive, and
    less expensive

12. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Thanx Superblue! I really had no idea these kinds of items were out there. I am never gonna have any money left for retirement!!

I'm definately going to look more into this. What a great idea to roast your own beans at home.

13. JayKay

Green beans can last for years in sealed bags, and even longer when vacuum sealed and kept at the proper temp/humidity. sweetmarias.com is a great resource. I currently use an RK drum roaster I picked up from a fellow member. I'm actually considering selling it and making a franken roaster or something else. Its a bbq model.

Its easy to roast. Put them in. Control the heat, and listen/smell. It takes a few tries to get it down and once you do its easy as pie.

14. Aneurysm

Aneurysm New Member

Yup I've been roasting my own and have never looked back!

BTW anyone got tany recommendations for a travel french press? Preferably one where you can use as a travel mug as well?

15. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Aneurysm, I had a plastic Bodium cup that was a french press/travel mug in one. worked pretty well, and the lid snapped shut pretty well.
    I now have an aeropress and the French presses I have don't get much use.

Anyone here tried these beans? jamaica blue mountain

16. thepugilist

thepugilist New Member

I use mine every morning.

17. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Use my Bodum every morning as well. I make 32oz, put half in the travel mug and the other half in a double wall thermos for later.

18. JayKay

As said earlier, I dont recommend a press/travel mug combo. Most people say that the Jamaican blue mountain and Kona generally dont live up to their price. Money better spent on a COE coffee.