French Products

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jeraldgordon, Mar 13, 2013.

1. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I will be passing thru Paris next month -just staying the night - but was wondering; anything I absolutely must try to pick up while there? Soaps, creams...? Something I can't get in the US? What say you, oh wise shaving brethren?

2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

MdC, fantastic soap but it's not cheap.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  3. jeraldgordon

Like, how not cheap? Because I sorta am! But this is my only shot at this, so may need to stretch the old budget a bit!

ohpaos and 178-bplatoon like this.
  4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Jerald, I think I'd expect something in the $40 + range and I think there is only one place in Paris to get it. Planet...something. I've never been there of course but I remember from reading about it on other threads. But if you buy it there it will be as cheap as you can get it.

jeraldgordon and alpla444 like this.
  5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Yes very true if you do buy it there it will be cheaper as the soap tends to be in a glass jar, and its very well wrapped which all adds to the postage cost.

Ive not tried it yet myself, but when I do run some products down, it will be on my list.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  6. jeraldgordon

Ok -Thanks guys! Will look into this if I can. Woo Hoo!

7. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

If you do come across it I would highly recommend it!! It is an incredible soap! (If you don't like it i'll take it off your hands! ;) )

jeraldgordon likes this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Remember, no French shopping trip is complete without a baguette. Or at least, so Hollywood would have us believe. ;)

jeraldgordon and lradke like this.
  9. jeraldgordon

Ok -IF I don't like it... Where in AB are you? My Dad is in Rocky Mtn House, and brother in Wetaskwin...

10. jeraldgordon

How do you shave with a baguette?!?

gunslinger1108 likes this.
  11. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

A little farther north in Edmonton.

12. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

MdC's main shop is not in the city, but their products are also sold at Planète Rasoir booths, Le Printemps & Bazar de l'Hôtel de Ville.

They put out a catalog with pricing that may be available on their site
    http://www.shaving-soap.net/

The original & unfragranced shave soaps also come in small travel/sample sizes. Hopefully, you would be able the smell the whole range at a department store, but just FYI the unfragranced version does have a distinct scent (medicinal to my nose).

MdC Bath Soap also gets wonderful reviews. Some people who've tried samples of the Fougere bath soap really want MdC to make their shave soap in the same scent.

Have a wonderful time in Paris!

jeraldgordon and Smoothy like this.
  13. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Yep, very true. I am one of them.

And yes, do enjoy Paris, even if it is only a one-nighter (or one-day-stop). It is such a beautiful city. Particularly in August (not when you go, I know) when the majority of the 'Parisien' are leaving town for their 'grandes vacances' (summer vacation).

jeraldgordon and ohpaos like this.
  14. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Eye Candy!

Full specs: Mdc Shaving Soap

Large Pot
    image.jpg
    Small Pot & Accesories
    image.jpg
    "Brain Bowl"
    image.jpg

Heloguy likes this.
  15. Moe

Moe Active Member

I really like MdC (supposedly the Fougere scent version is to be out within next month or so) but if you can't find it, Pre de Provence (more of an evergreen rosemary scent) and Institute Karite (kinda baby powder rose scent) are two highly regarded french shave soaps.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Um.... not very well. :p

jeraldgordon likes this.
  17. jeraldgordon

Many thanks everyone. That bowl looks amazing! I love the language on their website; "The experience of a smooth shaving without the feeling of a cutaneous aggression". Gotta get me some of that...

18. Moe

Moe Active Member

Oh! I almost forgot. Another nice French soap is L'Occitane Cade.

19. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

That Monsavon Bol something or other is supposed to be good soap too, and can be bought at most grocery and pharmacy stores like our VDH Deluxe.

20. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Beat me to it, I had read some good reviews about Monsavon in the past but couldn't find for sale here. It probably is more in the price range you were hoping for. It may be worth it to see what's available locally in the grocery stores.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/monsavon-bol-a-raser.26006/