french strop help!!!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by redorchestra, Dec 6, 2007.

1. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Hello all,

I bought a french strop on Ebay a while ago.
    I'll post a few pictures soon but I really need to clean it up.

What can I use to clean it. It is tight if it tightened right to the end, i guess it is stretched.

I assume I need to condition the leather as well, what do you condition leather with. I hope someone has some answers or suggestions.

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

OK, there are many products out there for cleaning and conditioning leather. I have a shelf full of them. Lexol makes a full line of very good products. Two of my personal favorites it Horseman's One Step and Leather CPR. Fiebrings makes great higher end (read expensive) products.

If you use saddle soap then you're going to have to make sure you rinse the soap off thoroughly and then condition the leather. If the leather is stain spotted they will not go away. Mold is another animal and very tough to deal with.

3. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Ah thanks I don't think there is any mold, It is just grimy from having razors rubbed on it for years and years.
    I still promise a picture. Soon...

4. Kenrup

Kenrup Member

One thing about older strops. You often need to treat both sides. If the leather is stretched you might figure out if you can reattach it and get some space to make sure it is tight enough when use it. I have managed to reattach older strops. Sometimes it will only do to try and replace the leather. Also I use a pumice stone to condition the leather for stropping. The stone often cleans a lot of the gunk that you would spend a lot of elbow grease trying to remove.

5. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Can I buy new leather for french strops somewhere?

6. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

[​IMG]
    it's rusty inside
    [​IMG]
    And it's really dry