Friday Night Razor Match-Up: Adjustable Series....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Jul 17, 2019.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If you have a Gillette Super 84 and Super 109 Black Beauty you need to put them up against each other, see if they are the same razor or not first before putting the winner up against another razor.

2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If you plan to also do differential and flipable base plate razors along with TTO knob adjustable razors you should put a Rockwell up against this one assuming you have have both razors.

https://suppaparts.com/Safety-Razor.php

3. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

They’re identical. Just handle length. Nothing more, nothing less....

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I beg to differ having used both especially at the higher settings. Put them to the test. It will make for a good post reading even if you still come to the same conclusion if nothing else.

5. Str8on2

Well, If I come across a short handled version reasonably priced, I’ll pick it up and see.

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'll let you borrow my Super 84 to do the comparison if you want. Pm me if you are interested.

7. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Black Beauty SE for the win?

8. Str8on2

Very kind of you. PM sent...

9. Str8on2

Got in to round 2 of the Karve vs Rockwell 6C shave match up earlier today. As always, 3 full passes with the final pass being am XTG on the neck and mostly clean up and buffing on the face and chin area.

Performed the usual as always. A nice shower and scrub and right into the shave.

Same hardware with the just a change in soap and brush. Components were:
    1. Taconic Shave Cream Tequila lime
    2. RR 24mm Plissoft Italian
    3. Shark Platinum blade #2
    4. Thayers WH Astringent Leon
    5. Clubman Reserve Gent’s Gin a/s splash
    6. BVLGARI Man Extreme All Blacks Edition Intense parfum

ADDFFEE5-50CB-45A8-9F0E-D7CCB8DB9833.jpeg

Kept the same base plate on the Karve, which is a C and went up to the max on the Rockwell 6C with the R6 to try and get both these razors as close as possible to each other in terms of gap. Just trying to keep things on the level as I felt in the previous shave the 6C was a bit out gunned in the overall performance.

Pass 1. Karve on the L and the 6C on the R. First went with the Karve and started north to south WTG from the burns on down to the jawline. 4 easy long and smooth strokes and it was humming as soon as it touch skin. Cleared out the face with nice audible feedback from the Karve as it was cutting the hairs with ease. That done and went to the neck area. Again, smooth long strokes with just the right amount of blade feel to know the angle was spot on. Finished the left side and quite a bit of the almost 2 days growth was hacked to skin level. Nice. Next was the 6C on the right and same action as on the left. Put the razor to skin and first stroke downward was spot on with the angle. The razor felt a bit more assertive with equal smoothness to the Karve as the efficiency was kicked up from the R5 plate to the R6 size. 4 easy down strokes and the stubble was reduced substantially. Continued on the my neck and just an extremely smooth pass with nice easy stokes. Didn’t get as much blade feel as I got from the Karve but, it was singing nicely and cutting through with no issues. I think the 6C actually felt smoother on my neck compared to the Karve. Completed the first pass on the R and went for a rinse and feel. Definitely much closer shave between these two as the Rockwell 6C with the R6 plate bumped up the cutting prowess of the razor. Yet, when I inspected my face while passing my hands over it, I could still just a tad bit more hair on the right side compared to the left. Wasn’t a big difference but, it was a difference that could be felt. On to pass 2 and see if things even out.

Pass 2. Still keeping the razors to their respective sides, I started with the Karve on the L going ATG south to north from the lower neck up to the burns. Karve went through the hairs on my neck like a hot knife through butter. Blade feel is great but not aggressive nor harsh. Just smooth strokes without any skipping or deflection whatsoever. Proceeded to my jawline and face once the neck was cleared and nothing but the same result. Viciously sweet and smooth pass that was very comfortable. No nics, cuts or weepers to be seen. Awesome pass. Next up was the 6C on the right with the same direction of shave as on the left with the Karve. Oh nice feel on the neck with nary any blade feel to speak of. Well, comparing it to the Karve’s feel, the 6C is more muted. But, it was cutting very nicely without skipping or deflecting as well. Went up to the jawline and face and cleared it out without any fanfare. Smooth and easy pass to be honest. Put down the razor and went for a quick rinse and face feel. Very nice clean and smooth feel. I did get a couple tiny stragglers on the 6C side near Sir Adam and just below the jawline there were a couple there as well. On the Karve side I felt virtually nothing. It nearly cleared out everything in 2 full passes just leaving me an XTG pass for touch ups and a buff. If I pressed on my neck near my throat across the grain, I can feel just a tiny bit of whiskers on both sides but, that’s normal with any razor, period. One more quick rinse and got ready for the 3rd pass.

Pass 3. Went with the 6C first on the right, XTG from right to left on this final pass. Employed some nice skin stretching to give a better smoother area for the blade and razor. Started at the neck and again, the 6C is just buttery smooth on each stroke and quiet. Did a complete clean up on the neck and face with some light jawline buffing and the 6C was laid to rest. Picked up the Karve and went to the left side with passes from L to r XTG. Smooth, good blade feel that just lets you know it’s getting everything you can squeeze out of those skin stretches. Great audible feedback on every stroke regardless of the stubble being reduced on every pass. It just gives great feedback and confidence during the shave. Cleaned, short chin buff and it was over. A good cold water rinse and face feel. Tremendous shave from both of these great razors. Face was smooth to the touch with nothing to feel as well as the chin. I did get a small couple stragglers on my right side right at where the ear and jawline meet. Plus just a couple tiny ones near Sir Adam. Took the Karve and a couple quick strokes, done. Cold rinse, alum pass that detected not a single bit of irritation. Cleaned up and dried off the equipment and did my final rinse to clear the face up and splashed on some Lemon Thayers. A quick but healthy splash of Clubmans Gent’s Gin and topped it off with a couple sprays of BVLGARI man Extreme. Awesome finish.....

So, round 2 is in the books and I’m just going to cut to the chase. The Karve just performed a bit better than the 6C. It maintained basically the same smoothness and feel while still being able to produce just a tiny bit more blade feel and efficiency. It gives the shaver excellent feedback in both feel and sound. The 6C is almost right there but, I believe the lack of blade exposure compared to the Karve was what did it in. Plus, the Karve carries some weight over the 6C and I’m sure that helps somewhat in letting the razor do its thing. Another thing is, the way the blade is held in the Karve is very rigid and nicely supported, almost vise like. Not so much for the 6C. Still a very capable razor with good balance and feel, it just came up a bit short against the Brass whisker whacker......

On a side note, I’d like to mention that the Shark platinum blade has been an excellent performer so far through 2 shaves. Above average sharpness and excellent smoothness. 2 shaves on the blades and so far no signs of slowing down. I’m impressed with their performance so far.....

Karve takes it 2 rounds to none....

8C99C0A2-E4E8-49BF-90A9-62E39CB21F7E.jpeg

Karve moves on and the 6C takes a seat. We’ll see what the next 2 razors will be in the next shave pairing this coming Friday. Any suggestions, bring them on Gents!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  10. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir..

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Very nice review, Gus. Thank you.

Str8on2 likes this.
  12. Str8on2

Sorry for the delay gents. Personal matters to attend to. I’ll be doing this quick as I’ve fallen behind on the shave schedule and I’m trying to get through these razors in a timely manner.

Next up are a pair of Gillette adjustable razors. The Super 84 vs the Limited Edition 109 Gold. The Super 84 is on loan from a generous member @BBS, many thanks to this gentleman.

Software for this match up includes:
    1. CBL Ghost Lime soap sample
    2. Semogue #1305 Boar
    3. Shark Platinum blades 3rd use on them
    4. LaToja a/s Locion

4BF89698-1DFD-4958-BF21-EC3072646528.jpeg

I had assumed that there wasn’t much of a difference in both these razors minus just the gold plating on the 109 and the longer handle length. Well, to be quite honest, they are not the same in hand nor in shave feel. Both razors line up the blade fairly evenly on both sides but, to the naked eye it seems as though the 109 has a bit more blade reveal. The shave will prove if that is the case or not. Showered up and prepped my 3 day growth and onto the shave...

Pass 1. Started the Super 84 on the Right side and the LE 109 on my Left as both razors were set to the 6 setting on the adjustment dial. Began with a WTG pass from North to South starting from the burns on down to the jawline. First was the 84 and it was a quick and intuitive feel from the first stroke. Cleared out a nice amount of whiskers on those first 3-4 strokes on the cheek and jawline. A very smooth feeling pass was very apparent with the 84. Continued on down to the neck and it cleared the hairs with a smooth and carefree strokes. Very nicely done by the 84. Grabbed the 109 on my Left side with the same direction and start as on the Right. Nice, excellent smooth strokes and dare I say that I feel just a bit more of the blade. Don’t know if it’s because of the extra length or weight of the razor but, there was a noticeable upgrade in blade feel without comprising the smooth feel of the razor. Cleared the cheek plus jawline and continued on down to my neck. Again, very smooth strokes with just a tad more blade feel without sacrificing comfort. Very good first pass with the 109 and did a quick rinse. Hair reduction was nearly the same on both sides with just a bit more whisker feel on my Right jawline where the 84 did it’s work. Another quick rinse and onto the next pass.

Pass 2. Decided to go with the 109 first on my Left, ATG from the neck on up towards the burns. Left the setting at 6 and started the first stroke. Very nice strokes and smooth with the 109 & Shark Platinum combo. That little bit of extra blade feel that I’m getting with the 109 is just superb. Just enough audible feedback to let one know that the angle is on. Cleared out the neck and went to the cheek. Dusted off what was left and nearly left me at a BBS finish on just the 2nd pass. Vey smooth and efficient pass on my Left side. Next to the Right side with the 84. Same as on the Left side, from South to North starting from the neck up. Very, very smooth strokes with very little blade feel as I move upwards towards the jawline. Nice and comfy in the neck area with easy strokes. Started on the jawline heading up to the burns and a very easy glide on each stroke. But, as I move my off hand trailing the razor I can feel tiny areas of whiskers not being cleared out fully compared to my left side with the 109. I grab some lather strands hanging around and go over those spots and the 84 grabs them but, with a little more work. Cleared out the right and into a full face rinse and see where I stand. Both sides feel very smooth without any stragglers or patches to be felt. Just a couple of spots on either side of Sir Adam which are always a bit tough to catch with any razor. Going for the 3rd pass and clean that area up.

Pass 3. Went from left to right on the Left side of the neck with the 109. A good lather and some extra on the off hand just in case I had to reapply and go over a spot. Three good strokes that were effortless and a slight hook going upwards to the chin to clean out those pesky hairs near Sir Adam. Nice clean up pass with the 109 as it cleared out those few strands remaining. Went with the 84 on the right side from right to left and just a real smooth operator in working near Sir Adam. Did a final clean up pass and a hook towards the chin and felt to see if there was anything left on that side. Felt a tiny patch of stubborn hairs and put some lather there and the 84 got to it with a bit more skin stretching. Nice. Did a final rinse and feel and all is good. Smooth, clean and not a single issue with cuts, nics or irritation on either side. Alum pass proved the shave with both razors was spot on and I just washed up the tools and gave my final face rinse. Splashed on the LaToja Locion and it was a refreshing and fantastic finish to a great shave.

The razors were actually quite close in terms of the shave quality. Damn near BBS on both sides with just the slightest hint of a tiny whisker or 2 on the right jawline side near the ear lobe. Somehow I felt as though the LE 109 had a bit more blade feel without sacrificing much in smoothness to the 84. The 84 definitely felt smooth and still managed to give a great shave, it just took me a couple more strokes on each pass to get me there compared to the 109. Maybe perhaps I need do some experimenting on how I hold the 84 in the hands. Might need to get my grip closer to the head and just add a slight bit of pressure. I’m used to working with the 109 as it has been with me longer. Just have to get acclimated with the 84 is all.

So, first shave in between these 2 and I will give the slight edge to the LE 109 as the 84 needed a bit more work to get things done. But, a very close finish. Looking forward to round 2 between these two.....

brit likes this.
  13. Str8on2

Had 2 more shaves with these Gillette Adjustables, last night and tonight,

Yesterday’s set up...

31914601-D73E-46F3-93EF-35082B57E66C.jpeg

Tonight’s set up...

DEAB6DAC-7A93-4305-872C-7EAD707A4FAA.jpeg

I will say that the Gillette LE 109 provided a closer and more efficient shave over the Super 84 over the 3 rounds that I shaved with them. Just needed to get one more in just to make sure. I have a few personal things going on at the moment so, I will have a better in-depth break down and review once I have dealt with some personal matters.

More to come and hopefully I will have a write up in the next couple of days. My apologies to all....

brit and Edison Carter like this.