From Pa., thanks for having me

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Pagunsandham, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Pagunsandham

Pagunsandham New Member

Thanks. Im new to straight razors but not to knives and sharpening. However this does seem to be the evolving next step!! I have a few old straights that I am restoring when time allows. In the interim, I bought an old RedPoint that I have reset the bevel on and sharpened. It was cheap enough to learn on, Took a while to get the hang of it, but man is it smooth now. After the last go round of honing, it was so smooth I gave a go at me head!! (since I dont have hair anyhow and have always cartridge shaved it) Man the experience was GREAT!! only one small nick. My wife thinks that I have finally cracked with this new venture. I just received my new Tony Miller Plain Vanilla. This thing is SWEET!! figured it was a good one to learn on for the money. I bought a couple cheap chinese stones that while they do the job, I found that I have to CONTINUALLY flatten them with my old DMT to keep them in order. They are super soft. FAIL. gonna invest in a couple good stones now. I have been experimenting with ARKO with mixed results. Have some questions on that subject, but ill take it to the appropriate forum.
    Anyhow, thats the straight razor intro from me.

Also into guns and amateur radio. .......and hobby machinist, mechanic

Thanks guys,
    Brad

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Welcome! Arko is great stuff at a great price as well. Keep at it with different amounts of water and you'll figure it out. Test lathering is not a fools errand even though it may feel like it at the time ;)

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

6. Orville

Orville Active Member

Welcome, I just bought some sharpening equipment as well. Never hurts to become more self sufficient while cutting costs. I also caught the knife bug there for a while but have sort of cross addicted to traditional shaving. I've learned a lot in the short time I've been here and everyone seems pretty dedicated to being helpful.

RyX likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome @Pagunsandham , from Texas. Also, welcome to "The Dark Side", of shaving. :signs136:

RyX likes this.
  8. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome aboard!

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs046: @Pagunsandham from here in western NY. Glad you decided to join us at TSD.

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Happy to have you. I hear you're delicious.

12. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD Brad @Pagunsandham! Glad you signed up and jumped in. This is your own personal thread so feel free to bring up any (appropriate) shaving related subjects.

ARKO is one of those products that folks either love or hate. Personally I like it for the strong lemony scent. It's great to use the day after eating fried chicken for it's drying nature. A suitable aftershave lotion can restore moisturizing oils if needed. I use it less often in the lower humidity winter months here on the
    South Coast.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome aboard! Feel free to pop in on the 30 Day Thread and introduce yourself. Friendly guys, lots of straight experts and soap freaks too. I'm sure somebody can give you that answer about Arko. It's a true classic and once you have it mastered you'll be glad you did!

dmshaver likes this.
  15. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den!

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you. Woohoo a new dark sider.

17. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Glad you found us, welcome to TSD!

18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hi Brad, and welcome!

20. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!