From the woodpile

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by stonyloam, Jan 2, 2012.

1. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

Well you asked for it, at least someone did, I think. I have made a few brushes now, gave most of them away, but have photos of a couple. Most brushes seem kind of short and fat for my somewhat dubious taste, so I went with a longer handle that fits my hand and is rather simple in design. I have made a few mistakes, but am working through the process of making a perfect (for me anyway) brush. Still working on the finish, but have it mostly worked out now. The first is my everyday (every time I shave anyway) brush, 22mm silvertip, in cherry. The second is a 20mm pure, in walnut. Slim handle should make a good travel brush. Have a couple more in the works. See what you think.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice work, I wouldnt mind seeing some more:)

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I don't care for long handles but you're making it for you, right? But I really like that walnut. The color and grain is really nice. I imagine the sense of accomplishment is even nicer. Well done, sir! :eatdrink047:

4. stonyloam

Yeah it might be a little too long, my subsequent handles have gotten shorter and a little fatter. My thought was to have a handle that could be held long for whipping up a lather and short for applying it. Hopefully they will evolve over time into something interesting. Need to get the proportions right, we'll see what happens LOL.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I dont mind long handle's as I use my scuttle, as Jody said the grain and colour is really nice, How long does it take you from start to finnish?

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Both are very good. Excellent work!

7. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Excellent work, job well done.

8. stonyloam

Now that I sort of know what I am doing, it only takes about an hour and a half to turn and finish a handle. The CA (Cyanoacrylate superglue) finish has reduced the finish time from days to a half hour (for 8 coats) or so. Another hour to set the knot in epoxy and it is ready to go. In the past I have used oil finishes (True Oil) for similar projects that will be exposed to water, but so far the CA finish seems to be holding up fine.

9. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Very nice!

10. supe

supe Active Member

Very nice. It will be interesting to see how much that cherry darkens over time it's an amazing species of wood.

11. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

12. stonyloam

Just waiting for my TGN order to come, meanwhile my nephew had sent me an old brush that he picked up at an estate sale, and I really liked the style of the handle, so just to get some lathe practice I tried to duplicate it with some maple that I had laying around. Made it with a 24 mm hole for a 22 mm knot, but only had a 20 mm for the test fit. Know what? I kind of like the 20 in there. Going to try to duplicate the paint job too. Will post pix if it comes out OK.[​IMG]

13. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Looks great! You did a nice job of re-creating the look of the vintage one. Definitely post pictures when you are finished - we all want to see. :drool:

14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Like yours better than the original!

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is going to work out real nice when you finish the color scheme!

16. oscar11

Very nice. What do you think they used for paint on those old brushes? Enamel, lacquer?

17. stonyloam

I would think it is enamel, I don't think lacquer would hold up very well getting wet. I am using brush on enamel, two coats of CA to seal the wood then 400 grit so the paint will stick (I hope). Got a set of camel brushes along with the paint from local craft store. Mixed orange & red, and got pretty close for the bottom, my top is a little too white (needed some yellow) but not going to change it now. The black went on really well. Two coats and wet 600 grit to smooth out the brush marks. Letting it dry overnight and will finish with a CA overcoat tomorrow. The paint is a PITA, but in a good way (you know what I mean), might go the auto parts store and get some spray and paint one same as my truck, two tone silver with a pinstripe should look good with a silvertip knot LOL. Just added a photo, dry enough to handle, will finish it tomorrow, hope I don't screw it up at this point.
    [​IMG]

18. oscar11

Looks good, stoney. Did you do the striping on the lathe? Very nice "old school" looking brush.

19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent! Well done!

20. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

good looking brush stoney. i like the 20mm set deep. share some photos after it gets used a few times, if you can