Fromm hair shaper - for shaving

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by feeltheburn, Jan 10, 2016.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've wanted to try a Weck Sextoblade for a while and haven't found a really nice one on eBay for a decent price. So I stopped into my local Sally's with the idea that maybe they'd have a Personna hair shaper that would give me a chance to get a little taste of what a Weck would be like. They didn't have a Personna but did have this Fromm.
    [​IMG]

It looks pretty much the same as the Personna so figured I could give this a try. One thing to note about it is it does have a knob on the side that's used to push the blade out when you're done with it. You can see it in this pic just above the guard. The knob gets in the way just a little but it's not too bad. The main problem with it is if you try to strop, you have to make sure you keep the knob off the strop. I thought about trying to remove it but it doesn't seem like a great idea because when you close the razor, the knob is also the stop that keeps the blade from going right through the scales.

I removed the guard for shaving of course. Not sure you could shave with it on. It seems to cover the blade a little too well for that. I'm able to get a nice shallow angle with this just like I'd use with a straight and it makes for a very comfortable shave.

It came with one blade that I assume is a Fromm. After my first shave with it, that blade is really nice and smooth. It did leave some whiskers behind so it's not all that sharp. Overall I'd say it's about as sharp as I can make a straight get at this point though, and probably a little smoother. Looking forward to trying a Personna blade in it.

Another thing to note about these is that there's not a lot of room between your fingers and the blade. So on some flat parts of my face my fingers would get in the way. On the rounder sections it was no problem. I've read there's more room here on a Sextoblade so I guess that's the advantage of a real Weck over this hair shaper.

If you're itching to try a Weck and haven't been able to find one. This makes a decent substitute for under $10. I can say after using it though that I'm still itching for a Weck. :)

JBSharp likes this.