Frustrated Lather Production

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by IsaacRN, Aug 12, 2007.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

For some reason...my lather game has gone downhill. I dont know what im doing wrong. To much water....not enough....im psyching myself out....just wanted to let you all know....haha....

The mix continues :)

2. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Try back to basics. Are you using soap or a cream?

Here's my method for soaps:

1. Wet your brush in hot water, then give it a couple of good shakes.
    2. Rub the tips of the brush briskly over the surface of the soap until a lather starts to form.
    3. Continue rubbing for another 20 seconds or so, to get more soap on the brush.
    4. Use the brush to coat your wet beard with the soap, all over. Not much lather at this point, but work the brush vigorously over your whole beard.
    5. Put a driblet of hot water in the center of the brush, and again work the brush vigorously over your beard. By the end of this, you should have a good lather. An additional driblet of water may be necessary.

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Well...ive been going back and forth between soaps and creams. Im using a bowl rather than on my face. I think my expectations on what i see in Mantic's videos is to blame...im looking for that bowl of cool whip, and when i dont get it....im adding more water..and i think i thin it out to much.

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Water/cream ratio and water/soap ratio are different. First give the brush a good shampoo to get it clean. I find this always help. Some brushes are better for soaps and other brushes are better for creams. Creams usually can take some water before they thin out and become runny. I always use more cream than most. A pea size amount just does not cut for me. I use a good amount, a very large almond size dollop. Then I add water as needed to get the merengue consistency. When I add water I add a few drops at a time. Works every time.

Raf

5. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Back to basics.. Start over with a soap or cream that your very familiar with.. Take your time and let it take some time.. I feel that its easy to rush the lather when "I know this now" feeling sets in (I know, been there many times)..

6. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

And do give a try to my suggestion, even though you've been lathering in a bowl. It might surprise you.

7. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I too feel it easier to get god lather when lathering directly on face instead of a bowl.. Forgot to say that in my last entry :ashamed001

Start with a less wet brush when lathering on the face.. Less mess that way.. and add water on/in your brush at intervals..

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Can't add any more, these guys have said it well

Just remember to have fun :D

9. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Yeah...im just gonna practice alot....and smells some glorious soaps :p

BTW..I received Leisureguys book today....so ill be reading that....its even autographed :p

10. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Well....

I was practicing with the tabac. I havent shaved or even opened it up till now. I had previously posted that it was a powerful pungent soap. It wasnt as bad after it was in its lather state. Of course i havent shaved with it, but it wasnt as strong as when i just smelled the raw bar. The Lather was pretty good. I think i need to practice more on pumping...and swirling. Think the pumping keeps the lather from getting around as much. I was satisfied :)

11. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Whenever I work with a new soap or cream, I always start with too little water, then gradually add more until it gets where it needs to be. The sure indicator to me is the size of the bubbles in the lather.

12. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Man....everytime i watch one of Mantic's videos...and see all that nice lather...i think....why dont i have that.then.....i practice.....think im good....come across a video..and im at square one:rofl

13. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

+1

Start damp and work my way up with a dribble of water into the breach as needed. When it gets to peaks and small bubbles. Done.