FS: Maruka Nakayama Kiita Japanese Stone **SOLD**

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by TstebinsB, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I have for sale a vintage and very rare Maruka Nakayama Kiita Japanese natural stone. It was mined sometime between the 1910s and 1920s, during the Kato family's ownership of the mine. (They relinquished their rights to the Hanataka family.) These stones are no longer mined and it's very rare for the Japanese to give them up.

So (www.japan-tool.com) says that "Kiita (yellow board) is THE most highly regarded colour of Nayayama stone, next comes the Asagi," and Alex (www.thejapanblade.com) told me that "This type of stone cuts like nobodies business, they are outrageously fast and fine." They are supposedly 40K-50K grits, depending on the scale you use. I decided that to best serve a buyer, I had to try it out myself.

I've used Asagi stones before and while they're very good, I don't get much feedback from them and they are pretty slow. This Kiita is extremely fine and hard yet noticeably faster than the Asagi. If this stone had the Nashiji/Kiita spots, it'd be even faster - but also much more expensive. :smile: I used it on both carbon and stainless steels, from a Double Arrow to a Tosuke to a Henckels - all with great success. As you make more passes, the stone gives off a spicy, smoky, and earthy scent. I guess the best way to describe it is it smells like a muddy, Spanish leather. There is a surface crack shown in photo #2.

Length: 7 11/16 in. and 6 in. on respective sides
    Width: 1 11/16 in.
    Weight (includes glued base): 1 lb 3 oz

After lengthy discussions with people infinitely more experienced with these stones, I was given an MSRP of $600-$900 USD; $600 would be the very worst case scenario. I'm offering it for $520 shipped worldwide. Thanks for looking.

The photos are showing the stone wet.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Not too long ago Joel from B&B sold a stone like this one for close to $1000. This is one hell of a good price on such a rare artifact.

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Good lord, what a beauty! Wish I had the necessary amount of change in my pocket...

4. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I should add that although I feel my price is very fair, I'm willing to reduce it a little for a serious buyer.

5. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Telly is cool

7. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

No bashing in my thread, please.

8. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.