FS: Vintage Boar Brushes **SOLD**

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Truckman, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Truckman

Truckman New Member

SOLD!!!

All prices are shipped CONUS only. Bank backed Paypal or money order only please, no credit-card backed Paypal. Thanks.

Priced individually, will sell them as a lot for $30

#1: Unknown Maker... a little paint wear near where the handle meets the metal ring. The metal ring moves about 1mm L-R and back if you move it (it doesn't jiggle on it's own), but the knot is still tightly secured. $17 SOLD!!!

#2: Ever Ready #79... a few dings on the bottom and a few marks on the body....$12SOLD!!!

#3: Another Ever Ready #79...a few marks on the body, and a bit of paint (?) drip onto the base...$12SOLD!!!

#4: Ever Ready #100....again, a few marks on the body.....$15SOLD!!!

2. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Is that a swastika on the first brush? :eek:

Should something like that even be sold?

3. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I think of the vintage merkur or solingen(sp?) has the swastika on them as well. I believe they were army issued? Interesting to say the least.
    Edit: Made in the USA? Now that is weird? Swastikas were usually displayed at an angle so I dont believe this was intentionally made for that reason. I might have been pre-war era?

4. omegapd

omegapd New Member

it's some kind of hindu symbol too- not just associated with nazism.

5. kevtex

kevtex Member

The word swastika is derived from the Sanskrit word svastika, meaning any lucky or auspicious object, and in particular a mark made on persons and things to denote good luck. Many different cultures used it from Native Americans to religions in Asia. Plus it says made in USA so I don't believe this brush was used by a member of the SS.

6. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

these are your two answers:
    the swastika is displayed at a 45° angle to what you see here, and what we see is a symbol used by many different groups. there was a discussion across the street on the matter

7. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I know the history of the swastika, and the use of the symbol by cultures long before the Nazis got hold of it and perverted it. Just wanted to open the dialog so that everyone knows going in, what the symbol does (or does not) mean.

8. Truckman

Truckman New Member

There's been several discussions here about that symbol and my brush in particular. The general consensus has been that, no, it is not related to Nazi Germany because the symbol is flat on it's edge, not on it's point (45° angle).

As to whether it should or shouldn't be sold? Why shouldn't it? I don't want it nor do I use it; maybe someone here does or will.

EDIT: However, if it really does offend someone here, I will remove the pics with a kind request via PM.

9. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

The symbol certainly does not appear to be a Nazi swastika-having traveled to India I can attest that one sees this symbol frequently outside the detestable context of Nazism.

However, it may be valuable to make a few points:

1. Truckman is selling a shave brush, not an ideology. As one who would decidedly be in a position to be offended if this was a Nazi swastika, I am not offended.

2. I abhor unnecessary censorship as much as I abhor what a Nazi swastika stands for. This post should not be censored (or even self-censored) under these conditions. If someone is offended, they should "change the channel".

3. Truckman has established himself on these boards as a gentleman time and time again, as his post expressing concern once again demontrates. As important and valuable as this discussion has been, we shouldn't hijack this sale post any further.

4. Cool brushes! Good luck with your sale, Truckman.

Brian

10. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Maybe the Mods can just delete the whole thread and Matt can start all over on a fresh thread:)

11. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Island Brian,

Thank you for the kind words and support. :happy088

maybe everything but Island Brian's post... ;) :rolleyes: :D

12. You should go to antiques road show!

Hey,

I know a funny fact of history with the swastika. Right before WWII broke out, an US army units symbol was the swastika. It was replaced when the US entered the war. Besides, the many symbols in American history has caused controversy. I forgot which company had crecent moon with stars as their logo. In the past they were accused of being run by witches or Islamic because past associations of those symbols. I think it was PG&E was the company.

13. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Awww man.
    If I didn't already have two project brushes going on, you might have tempted me.

14. Truckman

Truckman New Member

:D

give in......

they whisper to me when I pass the room...."Greg wants us.....Greeeggggg..." :happy102

15. Truckman

Truckman New Member

bump....

Come on people! I know there's got to be a re-knotter out there interested!

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Don;t know us too well do he Matt?

17. Truckman

Truckman New Member

sshhhh!

That's a mighty fine opinion of me he has, and I wholeheartedly agree! :D

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I can honestly agree with that part. :signs131

19. DV8_JERM

DV8_JERM New Member

cool brushes

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Since this one got the BUMP... Are any of these still up for sale Matt?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.