Full hollow grounded, half hollow. Performance differences?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by OTbowhunterBW, Aug 16, 2015.

1. OTbowhunterBW

OTbowhunterBW New Member

I have a chart that shows the differences but what is the difference between let's say a full hollow and a true wedge performance wise?

2. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I was also wondering about this. I'll be watching for answers with you.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One noticeable difference, with the thicker grinds (quarter hollow, near-wedge, wedge), you'll get less feedback than with the half or full-hollow blades. A thinner blade also requires a lighter touch in use. Some claim the thin hollow grinds can be less forgiving (blade flex cuts, for example) than wedge or thicker grinds, but I haven't found this to be evident in my uses of various razors of differing grinds.
    Some shavers love the heavy, solid feel of the wedge grinds (silent whisker killers!) plowing through the lather. No blade flex, just brute force. :D
    Bottom line, any grind can provide a close, comfortable shave. Try a variety and find what works (feels) best for your particular beard and technique.
    [​IMG]

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Personally, I've always found the full-hollow to feel nicer on my face than the wedges. YMMV...

5. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

I have half full and quarter hollow blades and when honed correctly they will all delivery great shaves and yes there is a audible difference between a full hollow and a quarter and a lightness of touch is sometimes required, what's most important that you get the edge right once dialed in they all are very enjoyable in a variety of different ways, at this present time I'm very much enjoying my supreme shaver a vintage Japanese quarter hollow Hoshitombo the edge on that razor is a pure joy to behold.

HolyRollah likes this.
  6. Str8Guy

Str8Guy Well-Known Member

I don't think the end will be different if properly honed and you do your part..................any should yield a total and smooth shave. Now the feedback and feel across your face will be different though.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The vast majority of my razors I use are full-hollows, so when I had a chance to use this near-wedge, it felt wonderfully 'powerful' and gave me a real indication on the appeal of shaving with these heavier grinds.
    This blade took an absolute sticky keen edge yet felt extremely smooth & efficient when shaving.
    SafariScreenSnapz071.jpg

Drygulch likes this.