Futur and Derby blade

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by La Pedrera, Jul 5, 2007.

1. La Pedrera

La Pedrera New Member

Well.. have had 3 shaves with the above combination now after using the Futur for about 2 weeks with the Merkur blades.

I'm not sure how the Derby blades are supposed to "rank" in comparison, but they don't seem to work with my face too well.. razor burn, dragging along the shaves.. weird.

Using the Proraso shave cream (love the scent and worked great with the Merkur blade) and same method as with the merkur blade.

glad I got the sample pack of blades.. see how the rest of them work out. After 3 shaves with the Derby, it's too much to continue.

How about some tips from the veterans?

Love teh smell of that QED asb!
    Thanks Klaus!

Chris

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The Derbys hurt me too.:(

It is just one of those YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) things.

If the Merkurs are working for you, then by all means use them.

3. La Pedrera

La Pedrera New Member

Want to try the rest of the sample back..

So far, of all the blades I've tried, (that, of course, being all of TWO :D) Merkurs rule.

Still looking for the best combo..

Anyone interested in 4 Derby blades.. fire sale prices..

4. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Well the Derbys actually work pretty well for me ....but in general I think the 'dangerous' razors seem to work best with the 'dangerous' blades. So for me those are Feathers, Euro (aka Swedish) Gillettes, and Tesco Blades

5. La Pedrera

La Pedrera New Member

The Futur falls into dangerous razor then I gather?

6. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

7. La Pedrera

La Pedrera New Member

I had seen that before. Maybe I didn't read enough into it when I read it. Need to play more with all the settings and see how it works. Maybe I'll revisit the Derbys once I cycle through the other blades.

Chris

8. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Chris:
    Dont give up on the Derbys yet.
    They are my go-to blade but thats not important right now.
    Cuppa months back I was looking to unload a bunch of Feather blades because I found them to be rude, crude and socailly unacceptable.
    Hated the Slant + Feather combo and didnt like the blade in my Slim much either.
    Then I dropped one into my SuperSpeed and it was MAGIC.
    Bottom line.
    I believe there are combos that work very well together and its up to you, the shavegeek ;) to find which works best.
    Keep the Derbys.
    Try em in different razors and I think youll find a good match.

9. La Pedrera

La Pedrera New Member

Have to hold on to them. As right now I have only the Futur.. but I keep a sharp eye on that marketplace.

:D

10. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Listen to this man.

I hated the derbys when I first used them, and then on a whim threw one into my razor one day and had a beautiful shave. Then I bought 100 of them :happy001

11. La Pedrera

La Pedrera New Member

I think I'm just going to give them a break for now. I'll go back to the merkur for now.. stay where I'm comfortable till the experience gets better.

C

12. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Absolutely. Perfect your technique with stuff that works, and then play with the derbys later. My point was, just don't get rid of them (yet)

13. rick

Hey Joe !
    Can ya tell that to Lovie ?? :signs107

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Oh I'm sure she listens to you! :rolleyes:

Then she just rolls her eyes. :rofl

15. rick

OH !
    .......I see you've met :scared011

16. Will

Will Nevermind

I just figured out that and Crystal and Slant = DEATH!

17. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

On the Futur, what setting are you using? I shaved at 1.0 for a few shaves, then opened it up to 1.5 for some months, getting fine shaves at that setting. Now I think I'm using 2.0 (after lots of practice). The Futur is pretty aggressive. Keep the setting low until you have to raise it to get a satisfactory shave. If you have it at, say 2.0, you might move it back to 1.5 with a new blade until you see how the new blade works for you.

Good idea to set the Derby blades aside for now and move on to something else. And don't forget these sampler packs. The more brands you try, the more likely you are to find the blade that's magic for you.

18. La Pedrera

La Pedrera New Member

it is running at lowest setting (1) since .. read some of the posts about it after was ordered and before it arrived and that was the smartest road to take.

I'll be rotating thruogh the blades and I figure the three shaves (all bad) is enough of a test base to give a particular blade a yay or nay feel. I can see having a bad day (and hence and bad shave).. but not three in a row. :confused:

Thanks for the link on those sampler packs.. .. more blades.. :drool

C

19. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

If the first blade of a brand gives you a bad shave, try a second blade of the same brand---it may be that the first blade was bad. (Quite rare, but it does happen.) If you get a bad shave with the second blade, put that brand aside and move on to the next.

20. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I tried Derbys when starting out, and tried them again recently.

I still hate them. :angry019