"G in D" mark?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Bought these three razors and one of them have the "D in G" mark on it (I believe the razor is a Single Ring but won't have it here until next week or so).

I've heard various takes on what that mark means. The most common one is that it's something Gillette stamped on the razor if it was sent in for repairs. I must admit I find that to be a rather odd explanation as why on earth would a company add such an invasive/costly process step to their repair service and actually perform something that might even damage the razor further. It just seems like an unlikely answer.

If I had to guess...I'd say maybe a market-stamp? This particular razor comes from France. Could it be that Gillette for a period of time stamped export razors with this mark?

I really, as shown above, have no idea but if there is anyone out there that knows I would love to find out!

[​IMG]

Increased the contrast/sharpness to show it off a bit more clearly:
    [​IMG]

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  3. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

:signs011:

Dolce and Gabbana??? :lyrtuy5:

Billyfergie and Darkbulb like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The "Dg" is a repair stamp. Someone had one that came with the repair paperwork once.

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I've heard that as well but it just seems like a highly unlikely process for any company to adopt.
    It might be that it was a pure coincidence that the razor had a repair paper.

I still believe that the most likely explanation is that the mark was added during manufacturing to either indicate country of manufacturing or intended market/export destination.

Then again, I'm guessing.

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Gillette would repair defective units and would mark them so that if they were returned again Gillette would not have to repair them again (known multiple defective).

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I still find it so hard to believe that a company would stamp a hardened, curved metal piece and risking damage to it as part of their repair service.
    I'm not saying that it's not the case...I just have never read or seen any actual 'proof' of it.
    For as many people that say it's a repair mark there are the same amount of people saying it's an export mark. :)

Regardless it's kinda neat.

8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

It's commonplace in the firearms realm.

GDCarrington and Darkbulb like this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    After further research, I believe it is a hallmark that was required on gold and silver plated Gillette razors that were sold in the European market, as that mark was also found on a NOS 1924 razor, as well as on blade cases and silver plated razor cases.

ObiDon and Darkbulb like this.
  11. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Maybe it was one of King Gillettes personal razors with its secret mark, and it's worth thousands of $$$$! :bounce015::shocked003:

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    He either sold it, donated it, or you're going to steal acquire it. :D

Edit: you're not the only one who wondered what happened to it. I'm not so much interested in the razor, but I am interested in Gillette's personal papers and correspondence.

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I also wonder if Joe and Betty ever sold off all their stuff....
    Link: http://razorland55.free.fr/joe_betty.htm

They had some...pretty nice stuff....like these for instance;
    [​IMG]

There were so many things in that lot I've never seen again...and hey, it was just 110lbs or so for it alll...

PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

+1

US made for the french market

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks for reminding me that ten days later it's still in transit. Coming from France to Cali these things sometimes do take a couple of weeks. Never did get a Collisimo no. though.

Update: ah, nvm, it was sent through La Poste - sans tracking no.

18. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

You mean, it doesn't stand for ex libris @GDCarrington ?

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

OMG, gorgeous.

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well three weeks later it arrived.

Nowhere near mint but should clean up and be a functioning razor :)
    [​IMG]

The stamp is clearly visible
    [​IMG]

I kinda like the very deep Gillette brand stamp. Maybe they gave it an extra hit with the branding hammer (no I don't actually think they used a hammer....they obviously used a mallet) before it was being sent off to France.
    [​IMG]

I'll have to compare this to my other single rings but just by looking at it I thought the leading letter in the serial number was especially pronounced:
    [​IMG]

Best I can tell is that it reads "M559077" - which would place it at 1920 I believe.
    [​IMG]

DrTerror and clint64 like this.