G'day from Australia

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by saltypete, Jan 29, 2009.

1. saltypete

saltypete New Member

G'day, my name is Pete and I live in Queensland , Australia. I am new to proper wetshaving, my interest being sparked by a conversation with my cousin who lives in London and shops at GFTs. He explained how he made an appointment with one of their barbers and was taught the correct way to shave. This coupled with the fact that I have always had razor burn, prompted me to buy a badger hair brush and an assortment of creams from Taylor and GFT and get started. I bought a Mekur HD double edged razor and used it for the first time yesterday. It was a nervous shave as I was very wary of taking a chunk out of myself. I have a lot to learn and a long way to go before I get the hang of shaving properly and I look forward to learning from this community.

Pete

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Welcome! Enjoy the shaves! Glad to have you!

3. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Welcome. It sounds like you have some nice gear. If you have any questions, just ask.

4. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Good people, great information available and a nice place to be. Welcome and enjoy your shaves

5. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Pete, welcome to the Den!!! The first shave is the hardest, it will only get easier.

6. Oso

Oso New Member

Welcome. Taking a little more care in the process is half the battle of fighting razor burn. What was a chore for me in the past has developed into a luxury over the last couple of years.

7. JimR

JimR Active Member

Welcome! Good to have some representation from Antipodean shores. Enjoy the shaves!

8. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Welcome aboard!

Your gear is great, and will serve you well.

Enjoy your stay!

9. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Welcome!

10. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Welcome to the den Pete

11. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Welcome aboard Pete. Glad to have you here.

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den!

13. Peders

Peders Member

Welcome! As said it sounds like an excellent setup to start with! Just take the time needed and you will experience some great shaves soon :)

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Welcome, Pete! :)

15. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Welcome aboard, Pete.

What brand of blades are you using?

16. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

G'day Pete. Good to have another Aussie aboard.

17. saltypete

saltypete New Member

Thank you to everybody for the warm welcome. I have purchased an assortment of blades in 5 packs. Astra, Mekur, Personna, Feather and Derby. I have only used a Derby so far and have found it to be good, of course I have no frame of reference to use as a comparison. I look forward to experimenting to find the best blade.

Pete

18. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Welcome to The Shave Den, Pete! ::

Derbys are great blades and so are the Personnas. Feathers are extremely sharp, Merkurs so-so. Haven't tried the Astras.

19. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Welcome Pete, glad to have you aboard!

20. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Hi there Pete!

Another Aussie here too. Good to see you here.

James.