GEM 1912 - Fair Price?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dulouz, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

What would you consider a fair price for a GEM 1912 in pretty good condition?

I spotted one at a local antique shop for $22. That seemed pricey to me, but I thought I'd check with you guys.

2. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

My opinon, and ONLY my opinion:
    $22 may be a little high but not outrageously so. If it were me I'd start the haggle out at about $12 and try not to go above $15. Just about anything south of $20 is fair assuming there are no major condition issues or lost plating. If you're really in lust or they just won't entertain much haggling though, $22 is not outrageous by any stretch.

PS: How's the str8 shaving coming along? I myself took one of my infrequent safety razor days today, ironically, it was with a 1912 Gem Jr. (the stubby one with a fat bakelite handle) great shave as always.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Good answer Sir!

I would suggest posting a WTB and see what kind of price is floated to you by a TSD member...perhaps you might pick one up for a better price.

I know nothing about price levels for SE razors, but if it was part of my razor sale, it would only be $10.00 plus shipping. Assuming of course that was all I had paid to acquire it....

4. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

That's kinda what I thought.

It's going extremely well. I've been sticking to 1 or 2 WTG passes and a little touch up. I've also been using the same razor (EE Mos 100). Today, I'm getting back a no-name Solingen that I had out for honing. We'll se how that works. Not so great at stropping yet.

I think if I get that 1912, it will probably be the last safety I buy. I've got straight razor fever and I've got it bad.

That's a great idea. I may just do that.

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

As already posted.. that is high. Most 1912 razors can be had for about $10 in good shape. Unless you are looking for an elusive Gem Deluxe, then if the seller knows what they have, you could easily pay over $20 for a great condition one.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's about what I've been paying; less than $10. But then again I'm not getting a collector's grade razor.

7. sffone

sffone Member

That's a little high if the razor is of average condition. On the other hand, if it's pristine, or even NOS, then the price is pretty close to mainstream prices.

8. harpman

harpman New Member

Prices for vintage shaving gear have jumped in the last couple of years. As 'retrosexual' is becoming more popular, and articles such as this one:

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/08/19/how-to-buy-and-restore-vintage-shaving-gear/

hit the mainstream, prices are bound to go higher. I just saw a 1912 style razor Star in an antique store for $6. It had some minor brassing but would have been a fine daily shaver.

Good luck on the straight razors....they seem to have jumped in price even more than safety razors.

bill

9. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

22 usd would be more appropriate for a NOS Gem 1912.

10. streetdoc

streetdoc New Member

I'am in the market for a 1912 Demaskeene, saw 2 on eBay each asking 85.00!!

11. nykobing

nykobing New Member

It is probably because you are spelling it wrong, try "gem damaskeene" and you will have better luck.

12. streetdoc

streetdoc New Member

ahh ok then thank you

13. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

12-16 is a better price, IMHO.